• Page:

TOPIC: Yet Another BigTwin

Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75505

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Yep, it's a sickness, I just picked up 'another' BigTwin... It's another '55 Johnson 25hp Elec. The original paint and decals are nice and sharp. Hasn't run in years, the paint on the cylinder head and exhaust manifold cover are somewhat discolored, I'm concerned that it may have been overheated at some point...time will tell.
I notice that out of my 3 '55 Johnson 25's, the green & white paint is different on one. On one, the 'top' is white, with green lettering on the instruction decal, whereas the other 2 are green paint with red & white lettering on the decal...??? Any ideas on why that is? The cover does appear to be painted over in spots with green paint, but looks like it was originally white...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75507

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...here's another view, first thought is that it is green, with white over paint. But the top 'instruction' decal is green lettering, (which wouldn't show up on green paint), where the others are red & white lettering on green paint...??? Model # is RDE-17 S, S/N 1303xxx. I also have a RDE-17 S, S/N 1302xxx actually 442 units away, with the traditional green top...Interestingly this faceplate has a start button and ignition switch installed in it, I wouldn't think that it is 'factory'...
Attachments:

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75511

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...another pic, the white 'top' is reminiscent of the later red & white Johnson models...I don't have pics of my latest 25 with the sharper paint& decals yet...
Attachments:

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75794

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...at it again, it's been a busy week, picked up...a 40hp Gale long shaft, a '58 35hp 'Golden' Super Sea Horse long shaft, another '55 Evinrude 25hp, a '53-'54 Fastwin, and a '59 Golden Jubilee 5.5hp, 2 pressure tanks, and 2 sets of controls...oh and a '68 Glastron on a '57 Gator trailer...lots of work to do now...

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75796

boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/brochures/1955johnson.html#/0

Johnson and Evinrude did not have a start button or coil in the motor. They ran cables from the starter to a coil box outside of the motor

Many times the green paint is sprayed over the white. They paint the whole motor to the area that will need to be mast off the least (white) , mast it off and then paint the other (green)paint.

CAVU

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75797

55bigtwin wrote:

...at it again, it's been a busy week, picked up...a 40hp Gale long shaft, a '58 35hp 'Golden' Super Sea Horse long shaft, another '55 Evinrude 25hp, a '53-'54 Fastwin, and a '59 Golden Jubilee 5.5hp, 2 pressure tanks, and 2 sets of controls...oh and a '68 Glastron on a '57 Gator trailer...lots of work to do now...

You keep going you will catch up to me. I am selling motors as to get below 150.

CAVU

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75799

TallTexan,

NICE. - I once had one like that one on a BIG wood skiff that FINALLY died from "running lines" & being run out on the salt off Port Aransas.

NOW, if I could just find a decent freshwater 35/40horse Sea King or Gale, with the controls, etc.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75801

satx78247 wrote:

TallTexan,

NICE. - I once had one like that one on a BIG wood skiff that FINALLY died from "running lines" & being run out on the salt off Port Aransas.

NOW, if I could just find a decent freshwater 35/40horse Sea King or Gale, with the controls etc.
yours, satx

I sent you an email about a Sea King that I have.

I do have a 35hp powerhead (long block) that may fit under the hood. Will need to put it all back together..carb, mag plate flywheel, starter; all that I do have from one motor or another

CAVU

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 6 months ago #75941

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the info, that was my first thought, but that doesn't explain the 2 different colored instruction decal lettering...???

Re:Yet Another BigTwin 11 years 4 months ago #77045

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Just retrieved another one, a '57 Lark, with the extension...(can't have too many of those)...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9394 guests and no members online