• Page:

TOPIC: Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find

Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find 11 years 6 months ago #74926

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
After a long weekend of long road trips in search of this springs projects (more about that in other posts to come) I saw a local Craigs ad that just popped up for a boat/motor/trailer $195. Clicked on it and it was a 60's lonestar..'59 Mastercraft Trailer and a '60 Scott Atwater 40.
Responded and luckily he called me right back.

Went over. Old guy is moving and has to clean out. Hasn't used the rig in 30 years. Boat was upside down in the snow, trailer was sitting lonely with BRAND new tires/rims he just on a couple weeks ago hoping to put it all back together but gave up.

1959 Scott Atwater 40 was in the garage for the last 30 years and is nice and clean and turns over free etc. Nice classic.

Lost keys and wiring harness and controls were in boat froze up and done. He had another set of Elgin controls he bought years ago that look like they might work based on some research and the funky motor connectors(though I think that there are two different sized little balls...we will see.)

In any case....offered him $120 and he jumped on it. I went back today grabbed the motor today. Gotta get the boat and trailer out by next weekend.

So now to the motor....here are a couple of initial pics and I will follow up with some questions shortly as I start to look into waking it up. I have found documentation on wiring etc so I think I can figure out how to rig a harness(using the empty terminal block to connect thru to solenoid/choke/???rectifier maybe and see that there is a starter solenoid inside so I assume I just need battery cables to run to battery from one side of solenoid and ground somewhere on block/starter grd).

Anyways here are a couple crappy pics for now to start this thread. Looking forward to help from Ponyman/Scott and anyone else with Scott experience...and thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find 11 years 6 months ago #74928

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Gotta hang on....pics a bit too big. New computer...need to figure out how to resize. and post here

OK Here we GO..

Has a nice clean brass prop and cone but didn't get pic.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find 11 years 6 months ago #74932

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like a great find and one heck of a deal Tim, congrats!

Mark

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find - Issues 11 years 6 months ago #75019

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Am anxious of course to get this baby woke up so I picked up a couple of battery cables and an ignition switch. I used a 4 foot piece of the original 4 wire ignition/choke cable as a temp way to start. I connected the following on the ignition switch..the red wire to the B post, the white wire to the S post, the green wire to the C post and the black wire to the I post. Hooked it up to the engine on the terminal block following instructions on the sticker on starter(very simple straight forward)…push in choke worked in the run position but when key turned to start nothing happened but I hear a click in one of the two things I have pointed out in this picture(yellow arrows). Maybe Regulator and or circuit breaker?
One thing to note…there is a break in the casing of the little red wire running to battery side post on the solenoid from the terminal block and I also just noticed that the nut on the positive terminal of the starter is stripped and won’t really tighten properly….probably gonna have to find a new brush set eh?

Thoughts?
Thanks Tim
Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find - Issues 11 years 6 months ago #75182

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok that clicking was not the issue(normal)...it was the stripped thread on the +starter post...built it up with some washers and got enough thread to get it tight. While I had the starter off I pulled the carb and cleaned it and set the aluminum float properly.
So now it was turning over....quickly checked compression(good) and spark(weak).
Pulled the flywheel and cleaned and set the points. Coils and everything looked really good.
Cranked again...good spark.

Excited to fire it up....don't have the old proprietary fuel line fitting so I hooked tank hose directly to fuel pump. Noticed sediment in the bowl under the fuel pump so removed it to clean and the darn rubber gasket was so brittle it broke which brought me to a schreaching halt just before my test run.

Gotta find a bowl gasket now....tank line fuel fitting and might as well replace the brittle old fuel and vacuum lines while I am at it. Hoepfully ScottGuy upstate from here in Mexico NY can help me out with these parts.

Stay tuned. I can't wait to wake this old girl up after a 30 year sleep. I've read good things about these 40 Scott Twins. Just remembered that a new impeller will be on my list of things as well.
gnight.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find - Issues 11 years 6 months ago #75237

do all the old hoses, note the gasahaul they feed us will turn those old hoses to a sure disaster waiting to happen. note, an Oring from the local parts store will work on the bowl, or update it with most any fuel pump from the 40-75 hp motors, also the diaphram will be needed....buy several!
all bearings are easy to find including the crank and all lower unit. they are "ase" so any bearing supply will have them. Oh and just for fun omc 35-40 hp props will fit,so propping for any boat is cheep!

Re:Nice Scott-Atwater 40 Find - Issues 11 years 6 months ago #75420

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Good thoughts Ponyboy.

I made a new cork bowl gasket and replaced both fuel lines. What a difference a working fuel pump makes :-). Outside yesterday running her in the barrel .... sub freezing and snowing.

She's running pretty good, pumping water, and shifting properly. Guess it's time to either find a classic fin boat for her or get her on the Glassifieds to allow someone else that privilege.

Have a look and listen:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9361 guests and no members online