• Page:

TOPIC: It's alive!!!

It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74535

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
One $100 1965 75 hp Evinrude parts junker back from the dead.Stuck it on the Crestliner for the heck of it and it runs and shifts out good. I LMAO when it fired up. Had one issue with almost no water coming from the relief port on the back. No overheat and it might just be because it was cool(45 degrees). But I went on and put a thermostat that I knew was good. While it was running, I loosened the screws on the themo housing and water gushed out so I feel like the themo was not working quite right. Had it in a 50 gallon barrel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74548

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to hear you bought a "runner" Jim, that is good news! I've experienced the same thing on the exhaust relief water on both the Johnson and now the Evinrude 115's. 2 Things:
1 - It's almost impossible to get the thermostats to open in the driveway this time of year with the weather (and the water coming out of the hose) being so cool. Both the hose / flush muffs as well as the barrel produce very little water out the exhaust relief.
2 - Even in cooler weather mine produces more water out the relief holes when it's in the lake. (Guess being submerged to normal operating depth may have something to do with it?) Mine will open at cruising speed, then close shortly after coming back down to idle. Only a little water out the relief holes is normal this time of year IMHO.

This is one of the reasons my obsessive/compulsive disorder requires me to have a water pressure gauge plumbed in prior to the thermostats, that way you KNOW it's pumping water. I also believe investing the time and few dollars on a new impeller is cheap insurance if you're not sure what kind of shape the old one is in. Also a good idea to replace them every couple years, I am told.

Just the humble ramblings of a shade tree mechanic, HTH. :)

Mark

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74552

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah,I took the water pump(new),points/condenser(new), bottom section of carb(rebuilt last year)and fuel pump also rebuilt last year,all from my 63 75hp that overheated(broken intake tube) last year and put them on this old clunker I've had setting in the basement I bought for parts prolly 10 or 15 years ago. Still got the Merc 850,but it needs probably more than I can swing right now so I took a gamble and "maybe" (fingers crossed) it paid off.. :laugh:

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74556

Those old V-4 motors are very rugged.
Scoffed at by folks today because they " look heavy " , when actually they are not heavy compared to new motors.
They are easy to maintain and do not have $ 400.00 fuel pumps or $1000.00 modules, etc etc.

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74572

Way to go Jim. I'm going to do that with that '67 80hp I have. Using the '61 75 as a parts motor since the compression was around 60 across the board. he 80 was 90 across the board.

Great looking motor, good job!

Bob

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74617

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bob.Your 80 will make a strong motor.I'm going to be on the look out for another 60s v-4 with electric shift for a spare"just in case
" motor.I've always had good service with these old motors.Last year's trouble with the 63 was a fluke.I kinda like having a Johnson on one and an Evinrude on the other.Gotta have my brands covered ya know :laugh: .I recently found a nice push button control on ebay,so I kinda gambled that the motor would work and got it.I did some detail work on it and think it turned out pretty good.

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74627

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice looking old Evinrude, the space alien model.
Too funny you got lucky on that "parts" motor.

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74680

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I got the shifters changed out Friday and the power tilt added yesterday while it was cold and rainy outside. Today tested it all out. Made a video of the motor running with "summer time" water temp in the barrel. Thermostat worked perfect. video maybehttp://youtu.be/W7TWzVdKEko

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74684

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good work Jim, she sounds sweet! I could almost smell the two stroke oil. :laugh:

Mark

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74700

That is good work Jim. So Smoooooth.
Attachments:

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74709

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Good work Jim, she sounds sweet! I could almost smell the two stroke oil. :laugh:

Whew!!I smelled enough for both of us ,Mark :laugh: I mixed it rich cause it'd been setting for so long.

Re:It's alive!!! 11 years 7 months ago #74710

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
robert-lorigan wrote:

That is good work Jim. So Smoooooth.

Thanks Robert.I hope it will buy me some time and get some more good out of what I paid for it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7936 guests and no members online