• Page:

TOPIC: Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor

Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72581

• dpanky
  • dpanky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My fastest prop on my now sold 15' Glastron V-153 with a 1974 115 HP Mercury was 53.5 MPH using an old Quicksilver 2-blade bronze prop 21" pitch cupped.

I now have a 16' Glastron/Carlson CVX-16 with a 1985 115 HP Johnson that can go 55.0 MPH GPS with a Raker 22" prop.

But in the quest for speed, I would like to rehub the Quicksilver 15 spline to a Johnson 13 spline and use it on the Johnson.

I know that the forward wall of the Quicksilver prop needs to be turned down to fit inside the Johnson housing. Is it feasable? Are there any special thrust washers and spacer washers needed?

Any other issues?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72654

I really doubt you would see much of a speed increase by doing the conversion. MUCH easier and cheaper to find a better off-the shelf prop that will fit your Johnson...

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72681

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The best OMC props so far are the Rakers, but was looking for something faster. We will see what the prop shop says about the feasability and cost of the conversion.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72684

Buy bigger meaner Merc to go faster.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72691

What RPM are you running with the Raker? The crossflow V4s are happiest when running in the upper 5000s, maybe even touching 6000 RPM with a light load.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72714

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
With the 22" Raker with one on board, I hit 55.0 MPH GPS at 5,450 RPM. The speedometer is optimistic at 61 MPH.

With the 20" Raker and three on board, about 52 to 53 MPH.

Do you think it would be safe to try the 20" Raker with one person?
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72731

I have one already converted to the 13 spline, I think its a 13x22 long ear 2 blade, merc lists it as a (race) prop. its no good for mercs anymore, and I have not used it yet so I cannot tell you if its any good.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72751

If the 20" prop with one person touches 5900-6000 RPM without going over, then that's where the engine will be happiest. Playing with props that keep the RPM in that ballpark will result in the best performance overall. Might want to play with engine height, too. Some cupped props will hold the water better as you jack the motor up. Keep an eye on your cooling water, too as you don't want to go too high and lose your prime.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72766

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you for the advice. Will resume testing next spring with hopefully the 21" pitch 2-blade bronze converted to a Johnson spline, a borrowed or purchased 23" pitch SRX, and the 20" pitch Raker.

May raise the motor one notch from the present 3/4" off the transom.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72781

The outer diameter of the prop is the same as the outer diameter of the bullit of the OMC lower unit. so it will make the prop completly useless for a merc. Im looking for a pic of mine but not finding it. what is the merc part # of the prop your wanting to use ?

the center prop in this pic is the one I had done to fit the omc gearcase.
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 9 months ago #72791

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The 2-blade bronze prop I hope to covert is part number 48-49630-21, pictured above and below. I also have a prop like the three you have pictured, a 22" pitch Hi-performance 2-blade but I do not know how they perform. The 48-49630-21 is a proven to me prop that goes fast.

Is it necessary for the front of the prop metal to fit inside the gear housing? Could one cut back the front of the prop to have it almost butt against the gear housing?

David Pankonin
612-363-3704

What did you do to make the Mercury prop useable for a OMC outboard?
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 8 months ago #73131

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I measured the Johnson lower unit gear case outside and inside wall diameters and the Mercury Quicksilver propeller. Both outside walls are 4". Appears that the front flange of the Mercury prop will have to be cut off so that it butts close (1/8"?) to the back of the Johnson lower unit - both 4" in diameter.

The trick will be to cut off just enough of the front prop flange after rehubbing with a Johnson hub and using a Johnson thrush washer.

May rehub both the 21" and 22" bronze props.

The props will be called "Long John Silver"
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 8 months ago #73250

It seems a waste but Ive done it too. Ive been looking for a pic of mine but I cant find one, the prop is on the motor backed up to a wall for the winter (first boat in). and yes rehub it first and cut as you need to. mine sets about .025" away from the motor.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 8 months ago #73294

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ponyboy, have you had a chance to test the Hi-performance 22" bronze prop on a Johnson? Does the outboard need to be raised on the transom to work? Still debating whether or not this prop will be faster than a Raker 22". Pictures of a Hi-Performance 22" bronze and a Raker 22".
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 8 months ago #73306

I never got the chance to use my converted prop. But I did run across this

kalamazoo.craigslist.org/boa/3522022900.html

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 8 months ago #73316

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Looks like a converted Mercury chopper. It would be interesting to try, but I would like a through-the-hub exhaust and at least a 21" pitch. Some of the people here in the Twin Cities, MN have the SRX 23" pitch over-the-hub exhaust prop for my motor that I may try.

What pitch is your Hi-performance Mercury prop? What are you going to try it on?

Here is a picture of a 22" Mercury Chopper that I sold without trying it on a 115 HP Merc.
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 6 months ago #74874

..Not exactly a close up but it is a pic. Its getting warmer every day so I should be getting the ol boat out soon.
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 6 months ago #75043

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ponyboy, after testing the Mercury prop on the Johnson, post the results. Hope it is your best prop. If you are not satisfied with it, I would be interested in testing it on my 16' Glastron/Carlson
with a 115 HP Johnson. We could work out some arrangement. In the meantime, I have given up on my conversion, thinking that a OMC Raker might be the best prop for me. Here is my e-mail address:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 3 months ago #78411

Well I just sold the boat that I was going to rig with the 115 evinrude. I think I could sell this prop now. any offers befor I ebay it?

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 3 months ago #78435

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ponyboy, I may be interested in your Mercury prop rehubbed OMC. If you could generally describe it's condition, diameter, pitch, Mercury part number and the price you want from it. Thanks.

David

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 3 months ago #78452

waiting for the battery's to charge in the camera, but I can put up the prt #, 48-55458A4 24p the book shows it for 1970 1150 and 1350 up to 1200# 53-63 mph.
Attachments:

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 3 months ago #78458

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Wish that prop were a 22" pitch. 24" pitch may be too steep for me. Interesting prop.

Re:Converting Mercury Prop to Johnson Outboard Motor 11 years 3 months ago #78461

ths is set up for omc 13 spline, same thrust washer etc. Im into it for just over 200.00, would take a reasonable offer, shipping from 46062.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9116 guests and no members online