Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric?

Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72495

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Got this for free the other day, wondering what it could be worth. Got it to run, at first it tested 90-90-60-60, but oiled it up and got it to run for a few minutes then tested at 90-90-90-90 with slight variation a day after the run. Everything's in decent shape, I'm going to rebuild fuel delivery system and fix frayed wires and buy a control box for it and paint the hood. What price range do you think it could be worth to the right buyer in the south-eastern United States (Georgia)? Heres it running:

vid143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/007_snoop/VIDEO0129.mp4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72498

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Sounds like it's only hitting on a couple of cylinders. You might want to check for good spark on all (4) and then go thru the carbs, it's likely to have plugged jets if it's been sitting for some time.

You can pull the airbox/silencer cover and squirt pre-mix into each of the 4 carb barrels to diagnose a lean-running problem.

The main jet for each carb is accessible from the outside, (2) per side in the bottom of each float bowl. You can pull the jet plugs and see if fuel comes out of the float bowl.

Sometimes a good puff of compressed air or even carb spray can flush out loose debris lodged within.

Nothing to lose, you'll be tearing it apart anyway if it doesn't work!

HTH........ed

p.s. check your local Craigslist for current pricing in your area.

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72522

In the video, the engine actually sounds as if it is hitting on just 1 cylinder. If it was hitting on all 4, it would sound like an angry pack of Hornets. My bet is that the problem is with the ignition. The distributor on these is under the flywheel. The caps can crack, or get a burned spot where the coil plugs into the side. It's also very possible that the power pack is shot. A new one will set you back in a big way. The packs retail for about $250.00 and a new disto cap about $180.00 Best to look on ebay for any part the engine needs, there are tons on ebay all the time. Wait for a good price on a power pack - some NOS ones can be found for under 100 bucks if you are patient. Be certain that the seller will accept returns. If you replace the pack, you should, if not must replace the coil with a new part. A problem with the coil will ruin the pack in a flash. Also, the bettery connections MUST be excellent, as any arching or voltage surges can toast the pack as well. The compression should be done when the engine has been run for a while untill warm. No oil squirted into the cylinders before testing - as this will give fasly high readings.

Be careful spending money on this if you plan to sell it. There is one here in Northern CA that the guy can't sell of 100 bucks - and it runs. I have seen them go for as much as $500.00 to the right buyer - but that's rare. Most people who just want a reliable outboard don't want anything more the 20 years old - max. They are very good engines when set up correctly.

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72554

Several strikes against that motor...
It has the hydroelectric shift lower unit. They work well, but are a bear to find anyone willing to work on them, and pricey finding parts.
It has the old-tech distributor ignition. Can be finicky and parts are pricey.
They drink fuel like it's still 50¢ a gallon... They're better on fuel than some of their predecessors, but still hardly qualify as misers.

If you were to keep it for your own use, you could probably justify putting the money into it, but to fix up for sale, don't count on making any money on it.

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72564

La007,

SADLY, i have to tell you that, even in great cosmetic/running condition, I doubt that you could sell that engine for over 500.oo.

They have the reputation as a gas-hog, aren't easy to work on and daily get harder to find parts for. = I'd let it go, if it was mine.

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72568

Have too agree with others on this engine.If you can find parts cheap and fix it up to use yourself go for it. As for getting much cash out of one of these it is doughtful you will get much. There was one up here in Omaha on CL for over a year for 300.00 and it ran good. The guy finally just scrapped it. Also the lower end on these things are next to impossible to fine good parts for.Skip.

Re:Value of a '72 Evinrude 125HP Hydro-Electric? 11 years 9 months ago #72572

La007,

You might consider "parting out" the engine on a site like Ebay.com.

Lots of old OB have more value as parts than they would ever bring "restored".
(I once "parted-out" a 35HP SeaKing, that I could never fix, hoping to get my 50 bucks back. - I ended up netting well over 200.oo on that one engine.= people just kept handing me 5,10 or 20 bucks for "pieces".)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7843 guests and no members online