Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: JW-13 drive shaft issue

JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72242

While changing the impeller on the 3hp JW-13, I pulled the drive shaft from the lower unit. Now it won't go back in. I've rocked the prop and can feel the gears turning against the shaft but it won't seat.

Also, to confirm...holding the water pump housing upside down, the impeller vanes point to the right on the top half and to the left on the bottom. I guess "pointing clockwise" is a better description.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72245

I hate it when that happens! Those angle-drives can be tricky, but I have a trick that USUALLY works... Hold the gearcase on its back, with the exhaust outlet down and driveshaft horizontal. Slowly turn the propshaft while gently trying to push the driveshaft back into place in the gear. There isn't a hole lot of room in there for the pinion gear to move around, so the effect of gravity and the gearcase being on its back should let it move back into alignment. Don't push hard on the driveshaft when doing this as you want the pinion to be able to move. Maybe spin the propshaft a bit BEFORE putting any pressure on the driveshaft.

Let us know if it works!

- Scott

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72251

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Scott nailed it. And yep, never pick it up by the D/S as come apart. Been awhile since I did stupid same, but it will go back in. Also try G/C standing upright in a vise, stick a round phillips screwdriver in there and try and line up the pinion. It will go back in eventually.

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72252

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Impeller should be ready to spin clockwise, looking down from the D/S.

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72258

Scott, you rock! Slipped the drive shaft in like butter. Thanks a bunch. Robby, what other stupid things can I look forward to doing with this motor?

Just curious, Scott. Did you learn that trick from a geezer gearhead, a manual or just dumb luck? Or maybe you are a geezer gearhead? We need to cherish those guys and you as we continue to keep these neat old motors running.

Thanks again,
John

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72280

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
"what other stupid things can I look forward to doing with this motor?" Probably zip as long as the coils are good, no cracks, clean points..(all still sold)..then gas it and use it. One the best, smoothest motors made.

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72311

+1 on the smoothest motors comment! I've got several of the Johnson JW/Evinrude Lightwin series and they're all gems!

VF - I learned that trick from a now-retired OMC tech. I used to work at a marina many moons ago as a gas dock attendant. When it was slow, I'd hang out in the shop and soak it in. If I recall, the angle-drive trick came about when a customer brought in a lower unit in a box that he'd attempted to fix - and failed when he'd done exactly as you did. Our mechanic had the shaft back in the gearcase in seconds, added the impeller and housing and sent the guy on his way with no charge...

Re:JW-13 drive shaft issue 11 years 9 months ago #72320

Gotta love those magicians with grease under their fingernails. I was one of those guys with TVs back when they had tubes. Now TVs are disposable. But that's a whole 'nother forum!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7844 guests and no members online