Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why is my JW13 different?

Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71402

Just picked up a neat little 3hp JW-13. It even runs! I'm puzzled, however, when I look at pictures of other JW-13's on the web. They all have the oval sea horse badge on the front of the cowl. Mine has what appears to be a pinstripe sea horse with no oval background.

Is it possible that it is an early '57...since the '56 JW-12's have the type of sea horse emblem as mine. The serial number is: 1558643. Any one have a clue?

Thanks,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71427

John,

My thinking is that yours is indeed earlier than the others that have the oval emblem. The 1956 30 HP Javelin had the same Seahorse grapghics, but these were actually embossed into the chrome plated trim. The 1957 35 HP Golden Javelin used the oval seahorse emblem.

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71452

going by the decals the motor is a 56. However there is a small aluminum "welch" plug near the back of the powerhead. this plug should also have the motor serial number on it. If the numbers don't match then some things have been changed.This is not a big deal.
If the numbers match then more than likely the old tank and shroud got beat up-this happens a lot- and some one used what was available.
1956 serial numbers---1,382,373 to 1,493,185
1957 serial numbers---1,493,186 to 1,660,474.
either way it is a great motor. Use it and enjoy it. This is not a 50:1 motor. It takes 1/2 pint of oil per gallon. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Stan

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71479

Thanks, Bruce and Stan. I put some fresh 24:1 mix in the tank to test the motor. Looks like it needs an impeller and a carb rebuild but otherwise it is a definite runner. Now the debate with myself begins...restore or leave it alone?

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71481

She's a 1956 motor (at least the hood is). They front oval emblem started to be used in 1957 models.

Andreas

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71491

Hey Stan knows his motors. He only has 250 of the old motors and if you need parts or info thats the guy to ask. He has helped me for almost 20 years now.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71515

Thanks for serial number info, Stan. My number puts the motor solidly in the '57 year run. So it looks like I have an official Frenkenjohnson!

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71530

Wait until someone tries to identify my latest project...

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71531

Wait until someone tries to identify my latest project...
Attachments:

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71564

Stan,

Welch plug and number tag match. So I've got a '57 with the '56 cover. No biggie. She runs!

John

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71570

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
vernonfarmer wrote:

Welch plug and number tag match. So I've got a '57 with the '56 cover. No biggie. She runs!
John

AND she looks pretty good, IMHO. (Think I might be tempted to keep it original, but of course that's your call.)

I'm not much good at ID'ing the older stuff, but if the size of the cowling is any indication of what's underneath I think you may be "under-propped" there Scott! He he

Mark

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71592

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Back to the JW. I have 2 weedless. A Johnny and a Belgium made (same motor) Rude. Look from the back under the cowl. Leftside. There are 2 7/16ths bolts, and a flat blade screwdriver "plug". The Johnny says nothing on the cowl, but the Rude does "Water Flush".
Fire it up in a bucket and loosen that plug. Water comes gushing out, Impeller is still good. You only will get some mist out the rear, rest out the bottom L/U.

Great SMOOTH little motors!

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71662

Robby, thanks. I noticed only a mist for water output. The impeller looks pretty weak so I'm going to replace it. Pretty simple. So surprised when I noticed it had two cylinders! Pretty cool. I have a couple of Scott Atwater 3.6hp motors. Only one lung on those.

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71673

There is only supposed to be a little mist coming from the motor leg. 95% of the water goes out the exhaust outlet above the prop. Still a good idea to replace the impeller, though. Cheap insurance!!

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71684

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I have to add just how SMOOTH those motors are and run way low in the idle range too! Friend my with a 36 foot cruiser borrowed one of mine as his small kicker for his dingy was leaking L/U oil. I fixed that while they were gone cruising the San Juans. Came back and I asked how the motor ran? Fine! I stuck it in the bucket to run out the gas and pickle it. Seemed to run OK, but something wasn't right. DAMN! It was only firing on one cylinder! A coil had gave up the ghost. Thats one STOUT little beast!

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71825

It is quite an interesting little motor the paint scheme is correct for the 57 but the decals are from a 56 hmmmm Anyway I noticed that you said you used 24:1 to run it but 16:1 is recommended as these are bushing motors and really need the extra oil.
Al

Re:Why is my JW13 different? 11 years 10 months ago #71839

It was just a splash to see if it would fire. Never even got hot.
Thanks for noticing, though.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7600 guests and no members online