Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Got the water pumping and did a comp test

Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71138

Well, after 4 times of removing the L/U. Due to dropped bolts and then the key jumped out of the keyway. The first time I removed it the right side water pipe was in the top end, and the left was in the bottom. So, 3 times I was lining up driveshaft, left pipe, right pipe, and shift rod. Did learn to put the shifter forward as to not deal with that. After the third time I REALLY felt stupid. Why did not someone tell me I could pull the pipes so they only had to be aligned at the bottom? LOL Live and learn. Another clue for the maybe clueless, I did not remove the plug the last time I took her out, we had 3 inches of rain. I walked out in the morning and the tongue of the trailer was pointing towards the sky. Darn that water was cold, and deep. Well, I did get start her up today. For final adjustments, and to see if the impeller was working. I found it sure takes a long time for the thermostat to open pumping 50 F water. Got impatient, removed the stat. She is pumping great. Then a bit of :-( news. Compression check... 2 test for each cylinder. Top cylinder tested 73 then 75, Bottom 75 then 80. I have done the seafoam treatments. Heard about the "ring free". Might try that. 2 observations... 1 I wish it had 90 # comp. 2 how can someone with a above average IQ do so many dumb thing repeatedly LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71139

We all do!!!!!!!! My Fat Fifty checked out at about the same as your compression. I ran a can of sea foam in each tank and ran through both tanks of gas while out on the water and she got to 90 across the board. The sea foam really helps to free up those rings.

Bob

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71144

Ditto for the sea foam. I've revived two Outboards with it. It may take 12_ 20 gallons of run time with some varying throttle and, alot of full throttle to get almost full benefit. As for thermostate operation, I take the entire unit with even the rubber hoses attached and place the whole thing into a pot of water heated on the stove. I find out which port is closed when cold and warm the water watching my candy thermometer and will actually hear the thermostat click open around 160-170 degrees. I then pull the unit out and blow though the proviously restricted port and it should pass air freely...till it cools and then again becomes restricted. Family members watching may think you're off your rocker but it works without alot of disassembly. Happy boating.

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71146

Glad to hear there are others who look at themselves the same as I do. As for the thermostat, it is a new one. 147F. I just got impatient with my hand on the water jacket thinking, Hmm seems like it it warm enough to spit more water. After removing the t-stat it flowed great. as for the seafoam, did the spray treatment, added to gas. But other than in the test tank I only have 2 miles on her due to circumstances, weather, and paranoid stupidity. Saturday is to be in the 60's and since she fires up immediately everytime even after sitting for days, and I got a trolling motor, charger, etc. I'm feeling good about running her for a few hours. Probally the last good weekend here. Daniel

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71152

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Don't be too hard on yourself Daniel, a lot of us going through the learning process know exactly what you're talking about. The good folks with experience guide us, but we still have to learn a lot of it the hard way - by making little mistakes here and there. The way I try to look at it - if it isn't something MAJOR that destroys the motor, chalk it up to another learning experience. (I think those lessons stick with you longer than someone just telling you about it anyway!) :P

Mark

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71173

Mark, yep you got that right!

Dj, good info on the thermostat. I'l have to stash that away for later.

Bob

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71201

Yup, everythings a learning experience. I am just a bit overly protective so I don't do somethng really dumb. A little caution never hurt anyone.

Re:Got the water pumping and did a comp test 11 years 11 months ago #71220

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Most of the things I do are really dumb if you ask someone else. You are doing it for yourself so who really cares. If you were a pro charging for your work then I would be somewhat worried.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7020 guests and no members online