• Page:

TOPIC: Metal gas tank rust

Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70869

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a johnson gas tank with nice paint and decals but rusty inside.Anyone have a good method of fixing this? I've used tank sealers a long time ago on other tanks.I guess I'm wanting to know if there's something better now. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70879

i had the same problem with my 85 honda 250 fourtrax. my buddy pulled the tank and mixed up some concoction which he then poured in and sloshed it around to cover all the metal. we let it dry for a few days and re-installed the tank. i think it was some kind of liquid fiberglas. if you can keep the tank full during long layovers you won't get rust. ron

Re: Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70883

JimL,

Look in "services" in HENMMINGS MOTOR NEWS" for a alcohol/gas proof "slosh" for sealing antique car gas tanks. - It's NOT expensive & EASY to use, coats all the inner surface with "rubber" & lasts PERMANENTLY.
(Sorry,but i've forgotten the brand-name but i've used the stuff on my old Model T Ford & it won't be hard to find.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70890

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I used alot of bb's and sloshing around on mine with oil then a thourough rinse... seemed to wrok ok on an old Presure tank.. Alot of work but was told to do this from an elderly machinist... May not be the best way but worked for me.. Oh the bbs are a bit hard to get out... :-)

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70903

Jim, Check into the POR 15 stuff, if I remember right they make something for gas tanks also. I think it's called their fuel restoration kit.

Bob

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70909

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
All good suggestions.I'm going to do some checking on this. Thanks.

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70911

i would just paint a good tank and buy new stickers. put the pretty one on the shelf. Or just use plastic.....it doesnt rust!

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70933

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ponyboy wrote:

i would just paint a good tank and buy new stickers. put the pretty one on the shelf. Or just use plastic.....it doesnt rust!

I thought about that.What kinda paint will stand up to gas spills?

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70945

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
muratic acid to remove the rust and then buy a can of "red kote" from o'reillys auto parts....works great..

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70958

This is what I do. take the gauge out and cover the hold up with duct tape then grab a couple hands full of bolt and screws and dump down the fill hole. Now get a gal of kerosen or disel and pour in gas tank and start shaking when you arms get tire put it aside for awhile or a day and start shaking again. After doing thla a few times open the cap and look inside with sun shing down the fill hole and if you see bare metal and no rust dump it all out and rise a few tims with kerosen or disel till it come out clean. If you can see some real bad pits or it started to leak then get some of the tank coats these guys were talking about.
I have done this on i don't know how many tanks and it works
mike aka the pirate

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #70996

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Frankly I would not trust a tank with corrosion, especially if it already has a leak. Paint it up nice, put it on the shelf and buy a good roto-molded plastic tank. No rust. They last almost forever and are very safe.

A leaky gas tank will ruin your whole day!

On cars when a tank leaks the fuel generally just goes on the ground. In a boat it goes in your bilge where fumes collect that can be set off by the smallest spark. Trying to successfully re-coat the inside of a fuel tank for a boat is penny wise and pound foolish. Whatever money you save could cost you your life.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #71020

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've heard that the ethanol blends wreak havoc on the tank coatings also. I have an 18 gallon steel tank that had a few gallons of "varnish" in it. the filler neck rusted off it was so bad. Looks really good from the outside though if you're in the market...:)

Re: Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #71021

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
satx78247 wrote:

JimL,

Look in "services" in HENMMINGS MOTOR NEWS" for a alcohol/gas proof "slosh" for sealing antique car gas tanks. - It's NOT expensive & EASY to use, coats all the inner surface with "rubber" & lasts PERMANENTLY.
(Sorry,but i've forgotten the brand-name but i've used the stuff on my old Model T Ford & it won't be hard to find.)

yours, satx

satx,I think this may be what your thinking of. www.hirschauto.com/products.asp?dept=4 Thanks,jim

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #71022

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I won a clean tank the other day on ebay(I love ebay lol)that looks good enough for my use. Some opinions here got me to thinking about the potential hazards of on the water fuel spills so I think I'll just have the rusty tank for looks and if nothing else repaint one of my clean inside OMC tanks and get some nymarine decals. Thanks to all for your thoughts on this. This probably is not the right place for this comment but I have to say I truly enjoy this site.

Re:Metal gas tank rust 11 years 11 months ago #71023

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
63 Sabre wrote:

I've heard that the ethanol blends wreak havoc on the tank coatings also. I have an 18 gallon steel tank that had a few gallons of "varnish" in it. the filler neck rusted off it was so bad. Looks really good from the outside though if you're in the market...:)

Thanks for the "generous"? offer Cal,but I have a hard enough time filling up a couple of six gal tanks LOL.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6952 guests and no members online