Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Well, the third times the charm?

Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70778

Looks like I will be pulling the L/U for the third time in 3 days. Problems shifting; While turning the prop with my foot it shifted into forward and the peg is in the forward position on the shifter lock. Lever moves back to the neutral position with peg in neutral indent on lock, but still in forward. Will not move in to rev position feels like it is binding. If anyone knows something to check without pulling the gear case I appriceate the help. But a good note, with all this time working on it I'm getting to know the motor very well. THX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70781

Easiest thing to check is that the coupling is connected properly.

Re:Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70782

Yup, that was what it is. But still have to pull the unit. It acts like when I put the bolt back in it made the hole for the rod smaller. The rod will not go back it. Well, maybe I'll get it right tomorrow. Hopefully will get warmer. THX

Re:Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70804

Yep had the same problem with my Fat Fifty By putting the bolt back in, it shouldn't squeeze the coupler smaller unless your tightening it too far before putting the lower shift rod back in. I did just say the heck with it on mine since the coupler was worn. I bought a new one at Marineengine.com. They had them in stock. I think it was about $10 or so but worth it to stop having to try and keep fiddling with it. Replaced the bolts and star washers also.

Bob

Re:Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70813

I did get the coupler out and expanded it to accept the rod. Not much room to work in there. I had a 2 screwdrivers, a needlenose plier, a length of wire coat hanger with a hook bent in it. All in that hole all at the same time to get it back together. I'm glad I have patience. Well, the seasons are changing and I probally only got 2 more weekends to get out on the water, before the cold sets in. Thanks again to all thet responded that helped me with info, or just listened while rambelled on about my mechanical fallacies. Daniel

Re:Well, the third times the charm? 11 years 11 months ago #70815

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Edited content out...I was thinking a different connecter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7635 guests and no members online