Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OPPS, A word of advice.

OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70725

I finished....Well, I thought I was finishing putting the motor back together after changing the impeller. Just had to put the linkage screw back in and close the access plates. How many of you have felt the unique emotion of disbelief when you drop the screw down to the impeller housing. Then realize you have to take it completely apart to get it back? I spent a good 20 minutes with a flexible LED light in the access hole to line up the water tubes, shift rod, and driveshaft. So, now to the word of advise. Don't take the screw completely out. I'm thinking of replacing it with a bolt, so I could use a magnetic socket on it. I had to remove it because I tried loosening it little by little to free the rod, and it only came loose after the screw was removed. Does anyone know the diameter, TPI and length of the screw? Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70728

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Daniel, Gee whiz, that never happened to any of us before...

And I thought I was the only one who did those types of things.
Attachments:

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70732

Glad I'm not the only one, and probally just before these things happen, we think "I should be more carefull........I allmost got it started.........Darn" I wish I had a camera to get the disbelief look....... Nah, glad I don't.

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70735

Oh lord no, that has never happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70740

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I did it also. I ended up inventing three new cuss words!!!!!!!

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70741

The thread is 1/4 X 28 and you have to remove the stainless bolt to get the rod out. If you tilt the motor hard over and tilt it right up it makes it a bit easier to get the bolt in. A fine pair of needle nose pliers helps. Also, before you start putting it together, paint the detent in the shift rod with some bright colored nail polish. I use hot pink and this really makes it easy to see when everything is lined up right!

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70744

And it doesn't help to try and hold the motor upside down and try and shake it out. Do not ask me how I know. Skip.

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70749

skipthescrounger,

GEE WHIZ! - i'm sure GLAD to find out that i'm NOT the only "butter-fingers" here.
(CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70757

Yep - DO NOT leave the bolt in there, as you can strip the threads if you're not careful. The bolt has to come out to remove the lower unit.

I've done hundreds of these over the years, and yes, occasionally I do drop the bolt. My trick - don't bolt up the lower unit all the way first. I will typically only tighten up one bolt at the seam, enough to get the shift bolt in place. Once the shift bolt is in, then I add the rest of the seam bolts. That way, if I do drop a bolt, I don't have to take the time to undo everything to get it out. That, and I've had enough practice aligning the water tube that it doesn't take me long to get them together. A long, skinny flat blade screwdriver helps if you have a water tube that isn't cooperating...

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70765

Do not use a bolt that you can pick up with a magnet...You may not be able to loosen it up when needed next time

One trick I have done is that I tapper the threads on the end of the bolt as to make it start easier, and it is less likely to drop out of my socket that has a plastic bag piece placed over the end before I push the bolt in ...or a strip of elect tap will do the same

CAVU

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70777

All good advice, a bit in hindsight, but I will remember in the future. THX Daniel

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70788

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I hate it when that happens. I stared down there for at least 40 minuets before I started to disassemble.

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70792

40 minutes? I shined my light into the abyss, shook my head, realized I was a dumba$$ again. put my tools away and had a beer and dinner. :-) As you can see in my next message today was not much better. Well, live and learn

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70834

If you fill the socket with packing grease and push the bolt head into the socket it will stay in the socket. Done this for years on cars when you have to use a long extion to get the bolt in.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70846

pathfinderz1,

THANKS for the tip! = That's one that i WILL use!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70910

1 drop of super glue on the side of the bolt with a clean socket works wonders. ive even used my finger.......ya I had to walk around the motor a few times.....lol

Re:OPPS, A word of advice. 11 years 11 months ago #70920

Darn, I guess I struck a nerve with the things we go through. Lots of advice with things we will do differently. Guess what I'm sure we will still screw up again. maybe more than once. BUT.....Sometimes when everything is good (like we finally get out to do a bit of crusing or fishing). Re enforces what we are trying to do. When the big boats launch at my dock, I have the.."crappy little boat" And I smile. I look at what they have purchased, and see what I saved. I'm 50 Y/O so is my boat and the motor. Smiles when they work.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7566 guests and no members online