Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP

First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 1 day ago #70006

After a week of fighting old fuel lines, corroded battery terminals, etc I finally started it. Kind of want to know if this is normall: It has not ran this season and it took a long time and messing with the low speed rich, lean it started ( question 1 how far out from full lean is a good setting to start fine tuning) Then it acted like it was 'cold blooded' ran bad slowly getting better as auto choke opened ( Q #2 Is this normal for these engines,) It was running smooth and quieter than my Royal Scott, except for every 5 - 10 seconds it would jerk a little CCW as veiwed from top, and I heard a click. After the choke opened I started the aerosol sea foam treatment and it started to rev faster, but still had the click and jerk. I downloaded the service manual but it has nothing on timing. Maybe a dirty carb since the sea foam helped? also running sea foam in the fuel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 1 day ago #70007

Well, I did the running after letting the treatment soak. I noticed that when the motor misses the choke opens a flips open a little, and she will not run at advanced throttle settings. Maybe carb and maybe reed plates??

Re:First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 22 hours ago #70046

Probably not the reeds - rarely go bad unless rusted or if something from inside the crankcase tries to get out. Bad reeds show up as fuel spitting out of the carb when running.

Sounds like a lean sneeze to me - opening up the low speed a hair might help. Low speed needle is typically set at 1.5 turns from closed to start, then adjusted from there for best running. Cannot be done accurately in a test tank. Best to be done on a boat, under load.

Have you had the carb off? Could also be gunk in the bowl blocking the high speed jet...

Re:First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 16 hours ago #70057

Thanks for the input. I was just getting ready to remove the carb for cleaning. Bad place they put the left side nut, looks like I must remove the recoil to remove the starter to gain access. Will see in a few minutes when I start on it. Thanks again for the second opinion.

Re:First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 15 hours ago #70058

Yes, you have to remove the recoil and electric starter to access the starboard side nut...

Re:First start of my 63 Johnson 40HP 12 years 13 hours ago #70063

Well, on a good note. I removed the carb,found a rebuild kit for $20 including shipping, delivery date thursday. And when I examined my reeds the aluminium looks brand new, no rust or carbon. And the petals are bright white. Maybe I'll get the chance for a 2nd 'maiden voyage' this season is getting late. Still 70 degrees this weekend. :-)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7997 guests and no members online