Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp

Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69406

I hope I can get some ideas here,I have a 1956 Johnson 15hp that I am trying to hook a teleflex safe-t cable to,I have researched some parts houses,and have been told that there was no link from end of cable to carry handle manufactured and that I would be better off fabricating something for it.my question is this,has anyone had to fabricate something like this? Or have any ideas on this? My thought was to bend threaded rod to make a link,just not sure it would be strong enough to handle steering torque.any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks for reading my post....Rat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69427

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I think I would get an approximate measurement and find an existing steering rod close enough to adapt the mount or whatever to make that work. I'm with you, not sure threaded rod or something similar would be strong enough to do the job. Joe at Ferguson Poole Marine, or one of the gang here "in the business" could come up with something I'm sure. Just a thought......

Mark

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69430

There most certainly are links that can work for your application. You would need one of these to adapt the steering at the carry handle, plus an anchor to the transom. I have the adapter plates, plus one of the clips that goes on the carry handle...
Attachments:

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69431

Here is the plate...
Attachments:

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69433

great idea!!! do i still have to have the link? or does end of cable go to plate? i know i have to have the transom anchor,which is still there.do you have those for sale? and how much? i would be very interested in buying them.on my other post "unknown project boat",it will be going on that...thank you for your quick response!!..Rat

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69435

The link arm only comes into play when the steering cable runs through the tilt tube, or is similarly anchored.

I'll have to look, but I don't think I have any of the cable transom anchors. I believe you can get them through Teleflex.

Re:Steering link for 1956 Johnson 15hp 12 years 1 week ago #69451

I have the cable anchor.it is mounted to transom,but would be interested in the plate and clip,I had an old cable clip for carry handle, but can't seem to find it now,thanks for the help!!! ....dale

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7358 guests and no members online