• Page:

TOPIC: '59 Lark Starting issues....

'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 2 weeks ago #69162

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I started to mess with the motor for my Lake N Sea today... It fired, but won't stay running...

I wanted to get some direction before I just start pulling things apart. Here's a quick video of it-

As you can see, it starts, runs for about a second, then cuts out.

I am thinking I have a fuel delivery issue. Two observations- When I choke the motor, then open the choke, a little gas pours out of the intake on front of the carb. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I have to pump the primer bulb after it runs, it's as if the fuel pump isn't moving gas.

Before I start randomly tearing things apart, I'd like some input on where would be best to start!

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 2 weeks ago #69170

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I am thinking I have a fuel delivery issue. Two observations- When I choke the motor, then open the choke, a little gas pours out of the intake on front of the carb. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I have to pump the primer bulb after it runs, it's as if the fuel pump isn't moving gas.

RE: carb - Sounds like either the float is stuck to the bottom of the bowl, or the needle valve has some trash in it holding it open Andrew.

RE: fuel pump - bulb going soft - If there aren't any obstructions in the pickup/line/etc., sound like the pump needs some attention.

You know I'm just a shade tree "wanna be" mechanic, but I firmly believe in a thorough clean and rebuild with fresh kits on carb(s) and fuel pumps on unknown motors or ones that have been sitting around a couple (yea right?) years. After tearing into the last several motors I've bought, they're usually full of varnish gunk and rotting rubber from the fuel lines, etc... It turned out to be the right way to go about it all three times. Just my two cents worth, FWIW my friend. ;)

Mark

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 2 weeks ago #69177

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeah, I figure that the fuel system probably has a ton of 'gunk' in it...

I already ordered a new carb kit, float, fuel pump kit and of course an impeller. I'm also going to replace all of the fuel lines with new ones. I already found a cracked hose, the pressure line to the pump had a 2" or so crack, I replaced it but that didn't seem to fix the 'issues' I'm having.

It was good to see it at least TRY to start. I didn't know anything about the motor, I picked it up when I was up in Chicago, and supposedly it's one of those used only on occasional holiday weekends motors off a boat that sat at a vacation home up in Wisconsin... But you know how those stories go!

-Andrew

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 1 week ago #69520

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I got all my parts- Then I rebuilt the fuel pump and carb. I found a few 'issues' inside the old carb, I couldn't get the main jet out, and some damage had been done by someone trying to get it out before, so I used a mix of parts from the carbs of both larks to get one good one. I didn't need to steal much, so I should still be able to salvage the other one, too.

The fuel pump looked OK, but I replaced all the parts anyways since I had it open. I was kind of amazed that they didn't include the plastic check valves in the rebuild kit- Mine seem to be functional, but they are old and seemed a bit brittle, so I'm going to order some spares just in case.

I got it all together late last night. Too late to test it (I've got to keep the neighbors happy).

So, I gave it a shot this morning- Reattached the starter, and tried to fire it up. Nothing. Same as before.

So, I took it all apart again. Cleaned it all up. Put it all back. Nothing again.

One more time- I'd checked everything, googled the problem, checked all the potential solutions. Still, nothing. So, I took it apart one more time- Cleaned it all up again, and found one passage to the bottom of the bowl that I seem to have neglected. So, I cleaned it, blew it down, and put it back on.

This time, She fired right up!

I haven't done any adjusting, but it runs pretty well and idles nicely. I need to get new plugs, and I have new points, condensers, etc going in, too- But I wanted to make sure it was going to RUN before I put any more money into it.

I love the smell of a two-cycle... Such a great reward after all that work ;)

-andrew

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 1 week ago #69545

Sounds really good for not doing any adjusting.Should be a good runner out on the lake. Keep up the great work, Skip.

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 1 week ago #69556

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I love the smell of a two-cycle...

Me too brother, me too! Glad to hear you got her sorted out, sounds much better now. Charlotte called and said she's like to do a shake-down run and see the leaves changing color, SOON! :laugh:

Mark

Re:'59 Lark Starting issues.... 12 years 1 week ago #69630

Well done she sounds GREAT!!!!!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6730 guests and no members online