• Page:

TOPIC: 1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift

1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift 12 years 2 months ago #65856

• delirious
  • delirious's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i am thinking about buying an evinrude 50hp, 1972, with electric shift controls, is there anything i should be looking for? known problems with these? i dont believe i will hear it run, i am hoping for a decent runner to put on my 14footer untill i decide what to do with my problematic 650merc. luv to hear the goods n bads on the `rude. thnx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift 12 years 2 months ago #65857

If its hooked to a battery, you can just turn the key on and work the shifter to hear if the shift solenoids are working.

Check the condition of the wiring harness. Most are ready to crumble if you touch them. You can rewire it or get a new harness for around $200.00.

Make sure to check the lower unit for water intrusion, and that it has the ultra thin Type C fluid in it. Type C doesn't have the smell like regular lower unit grease.

Parts for this unit are very expensive, but if they are in good working order they are one heck of a good motor.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift 12 years 2 months ago #65873

Ditto on what Littlefin said about the motor. I would really want to hear the motor run before i put any money out for it. You will need the contols for this motor also and you need to make sure the push buttons work properly as these are NLA. The lower unit solinoids are also NLA. So check it out really good first and it will also most likely need a water pump. Have fun and keep us posted, Skip.

Re:1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift 12 years 2 months ago #65897

• delirious
  • delirious's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
thnx guys..it does come with controls, and a buddy of mine has a set of controls also. i am by trade an "automotive electronic accessory tech" so wires are no problem. he wants 600 for the `rude, and my 650 merc needs a new lower unit (as the gear box was water lubricated unbeknownst to me) and finding one seems to be a lil close to impossible and i just wanna have some fun on the water without breaking the bank, and this one is the best deal i have found locally. it looks clean and matches my boat frm the pic on the add
Attachments:

Re:1972 evinrude 50 horse electric shift 12 years 1 month ago #65908

If you can't hear it run, at least test compression and spark.
It looks really clean though, so maybe it's a diamond waiting to sparkle.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6810 guests and 2 members online