Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel pump puzzle...

Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65802

I just got the 120hp 1990 evinrude rigged. I thought that the fuel delivery (pump) wasn't working right and was starving at high idle. I then took it to the lake and ran it on the trailer putting in and out of gear. It seemed like it was running OK. Then I took it out on the water. Again, it was running pretty well until it died right when I was turning around to head back to the launch ramp. The other problem is that I can only find VRO fuel/oil pumps. My mechanic says that I don't have VRO and my pump looks different. I removed it and found 438287 and 25-F-1G below it on a white label. I just can't find it anwhere on the web. See why I'm puzzled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65821

Got a pic of the pump in question?

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65823

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Does it look like this?
Attachments:

Mark

Re: Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65840

You can see it in this link as the updated version of part number 438287. I am oretty sure that this is the problem. Now it only fires when I prime the carbs with a shot of premix. Phil

Re: Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65841

Re: Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65842

I was told that other than fuel in and out ther is a vacuum line connected to the pump.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 2 months ago #65896

• MarkS
Okay, that number supersedes to 5007422. That's a VRO2 replacement kit that does away with the VRO pump. The "tech info" supplied does mention a "pulse line";
www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC5007422&ptype=&Engine=&Model=
Here's the tech info that goes along with the kit;
www.marineengine.com/parts/technical_information/omc_5007422.pdf

Mark

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #65913

Hi Mark.... Thanks for the great response. Guess what? I cranked the motor over with the fuel line to the carburetors off. Gas shot out two feet. I'm pretty sure that is enough to run this motor. So, I guess it is on to the carbs to see where the problem is. Any suggestions?

Phil.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #66283

Any motor that is new to you, unless it can be shown that it was recently gone through (.ie from a marina with a warranty, etc.) should probably get the carbs cleaned and rebuilt as a matter of course. That motor has four carbs, each feeding one cylinder. If any one of them is at all gummed up, that cylinder will run lean and you can fry the piston in short order. Take notes on the linkages. A "link & synch" when you get them back on will be needed, too.

Got a shop manual for your motor?

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #66832

Here's the latest.... It must have shot fuel out of the pump when I cranked it over because I had pressurized the bulb. My mechanic went through my carbs and found them to be in really good shape. So now, very little fuel is being pumped and it's back to the fuel pump. this has been a P.I.T.A. Thanks for all the help. No, I really mean it.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #67727

The new fuel pump is installed. I even ran it off a 6 gallon remote tank and it will run for a short period of time once I "force-feed" it through squirting pre-mix into the carbs. The bulb gets soft and the motor dies. What powers the fuel pump? Some sort of vacuum pulse? I am going to confirm that the tank is still not the problem by using another tank that I have. I just want to play.....

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #67760

Are you opening the vent on the tank. Also check to make sure you are getting vacuam at the pump.It sounds like if you are getting fuel only by pumping the bulb you have no vacuam at the pump. Also make sure that the primer bulb is installed in the right direction.If it isn't, it will never run right. Good luck, Skip.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 1 month ago #67983

So here is almost all of the "rest of the story". It wasn't getting the proper vacuum to run the pump right. We shot some cleaner into the block and blew it out. The hose was cracked where it entered the block so we put on a new one. Now it has good vacuum. We took the old fuel pump apart and it looked good. So I didn't have to buy a new one. $450 down the tube. It runs pretty good now but isn't getting a good spark to one cylinder. We tried a new wire, a new plug and a new coil. Now in the process of pulling the flywheel to see if the magnets are dirty or rusted.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68594

The flywheel finally came off and my mechanic cleaned the underside of the flywheel. I have put new wires on it and another set of plugs. It still won't start without feeding it premix. I'm beginning to think that I've spent more than I should have on what was "a perfectly good running motor with good compression". I'm going to double check the coils and then the compression. I've thown money and lot of "choice" words at this thing. Can someone just send me some "Luck"?

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68597

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Good luck!

I went through a bunch of crap with my motor too. When i finally got it to start and run without pre-mix down the carb it decided to not pump water.

I feel for ya.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68599

I feel like calling it "Cursed", almost like your name.

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68605

• MarkS

Can someone just send me some "Luck"?

I would if I could Phil! Good luck to Phil, oh great OMC spirits !!!! There, see if that helps...... :laugh:

Seriously, if you're still having to prime it with premix to get it running, it still sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. Air leaks in the lines or fittings will cause similar problems, but I believe you stated earlier that the fuel pump line was squirting nicely when you cranked it over with the line disconnected? That leaves only the carburetors! Have you tried getting a manual and putting fresh rebuild kits in them? If your compression is good, this motor is worth the effort to get it running right IMHO.

Mark

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68645

I can feel something coming over me. Just don't know if it's good mojo or my breakfast burrito kickin' in.

My mechanic went through the carbs. He said "He can make the carbs perfect in his sleep". They were clean when he went through them and he didn't think that they needed rebuilt. An air leak might not be out of the question.

We are thinking that it's electrical. I tested each wire/plug with a cool little $4.95 Harbor Freight test light and found one not lighting up. Swapped wires and still no spark. He says the coils are tricky. The one that's sparking great could be the cause of another not sparking.

But I did swap two aluminum props and a stainless for a nice 21-pitch "Hill".

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 12 years 3 weeks ago #68646

I can feel something coming over me. Just don't know if it's good mojo or my breakfast burrito kickin' in.

My mechanic went through the carbs. He said "He can make the carbs perfect in his sleep". They were clean when he went through them and he didn't think that they needed rebuilt. An air leak might not be out of the question.

We are thinking that it's electrical. I tested each wire/plug with a cool little $4.95 Harbor Freight test light and found one not lighting up. Swapped wires and still no spark. He says the coils are tricky. The one that's sparking great could be the cause of another not sparking.

But I did swap two aluminum props and a stainless for a nice 21-pitch "Hill".

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 11 years 11 months ago #70489

Here is more of the story... After replacing coils and still having spark problems, I decided to get a new stator, timer base and power pack all CDI products. There is another $600 that will hopefully contribute to a reliable engine soon.

It wouldn't idle very well so my mechanic stripped the front down to the reed valves and checked all the small hoses. He found carbon clogging a bleeder going into a cylinder and cleared that. The reed valves were fine.

What's the story on "de-carboning these v-4's"?

Re:Fuel pump puzzle... 11 years 5 months ago #76505

Man,

You have alot of patience, good luck with it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9624 guests and no members online