• Page:

TOPIC: '59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set

'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64388

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Well changed out the lower unit lube in prep for getting the Clipper back in the water after completing the trailer and unfortunately it had some water and milky oil come out. So the question is; does anyone have the part number for a lower unit gasket set instead of having to order each of them separately?

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64392

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
believe it or not, they don't make a kit.

i just re-sealed mine last month and had to order everything seperate. one of the seals isn't even available aftermarket and you'll need a NOS one (it's either the prop or driveshaft seal... don't remember which).

i got mine through Joe Poole. I'd highly recommend him. and he beat my local suppliers prices by quite a bit, too. if you throw in a waterpump impeller, you're going to be over $110 to replace everything. i pressurized my LU with air and found that both the driveshaft and propshaft seals were a-ok on mine. hopefully you will find the same.

-Chris

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64413

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Chris hit the nail on the head with both counts on this one Bob. I found the same situation on my 78 Erude 115 V4, OMC (BRP) doesn't offer a kit for the lower. Sierra did offer one however, it's the only piece(s) I used that wasn't O.E. when I refurbished my motor. Joe is a great source on this stuff as well, most people (me included!) just think of him on the Merc parts. I've got his contact info if you need it, drop me a line. ;)

Mark

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64425

As stated above, OMC doesn't make kits for the old engines. It is a piece by piece issue.

That being said, for the middle aged motors (like Mark's on the Glastron) even though the parts book doesn't list seal kits later dealer quick reference charts do. Apparently they began producing seal kits & listing them in parts books a few years later and they did fit retroactively to some extent. Nothing for the non thru hub stuff from the 60s or before.

Personally, I don't care for the Sierra kits and periodically they don't fit as advertised.

The OMC seal kit for Mark's 1978 is 5006373 which I stock. It covers up current 75 and up E-tecs. So there will be unused items left over.
The Sierra #18-2692 has no direct cross to OMC as it isn't as comprehensive. The Sierra is also cheaper.

As a dealer, we stock OEM only where ever possible. That includes the loose parts for the older gearcases. It becomes way to confusing & expensive to have parts in 2 brands. Better to invest the extra money in more (as in different) part numbers and have a broader parts inventory.

If someone wants to squawk about the extra price, they can drive 30 miles to save a buck or buy online, pay shipping & wait. Seems they are happy to pay when they need a new recoil spring, water pump, fuel pump, new prop & hardware (because they used a non stainless cotter pin) or CDI on a Saturday morning.

Jim

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64466

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Roger that, thanks guys. I guess I'll have to start piecing out what I need. Another quick question, how does everyone pressure test their lowers using compressed air?

Bob

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64474

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i just put a rubber tip on the air nozzle and stuck it in one of the drain ports. just a few shots of air was enough for me to be able to find which seals were leaking on mine. i had the wife squirt some soapy water on the seals i thought were questionable. bubbles = leaks.

i've heard tale of folks making fittings and attaching gauges and valves and such and then seeing it it would hold pressure (i think it was 10 PSI that was used).

perhaps that's a better way to do it, but my method worked for me. and there was a lot less work involved. so i was all for it! :laugh:

-Chris

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64519

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cool I'll give try and see what happens.

Thanks.
Bob

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64553

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
keep us posted! 95% of the leakage i was seeing came from the seal where the shift rod went through the housing. This seems to be common, based on what i read. be sure to check there.

Re:'59 Envinrude Fat Fifty lower unit gasket set 12 years 2 months ago #64579

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Will do. Officially fired her up today, a little gas down the carb, choke and bam, fired right up. Unfortunately couldn't get her in the water, started raining after lunch so we'll see what this week brings, may just have to take half a day and get on the water! :) Also have two new moeller 6.6 gal tanks coming, were a good deal on Amazon. Seems like gunk keeps showing up in the metal cruise-a-day's. Not going to get rid of them just use the new ones as primaries and one metal as a back up.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6828 guests and 2 members online