Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee

help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 12 years 2 months ago #64210

Hello,
I started a discussion last week about the 63? Trailorboat that I just purchased.

I printed the Evinrude Lark 35 owners manual that is on this site. It says that it is for models 35516 and 35517. My engine's serial number is 29582. It appears that some of the info in the manual may not apply to my motor.

The previous owner lost the key to the ignition switch, so he replaced the switch, but left the wires unconnected. The switch that he purchased has 3 connections instead of four. I tried to use it anyway. When I turn the key, the starter turns, but I don't get spark. I tried to inspect the points, but it appears that the flywheel needs to be removed in order to access the points. The manual says that there is an inspection hole, but my flywheel does not appear to have one. I tried to pull the flywheel off, but it is stubborn, so I stopped for today.
My conclusion is that since I have the wrong switch, I am not powering the magneto. So I went to one of the local boat shops, but they did not have the correct switch. I hope to find it at one of the other boat shops tomorrow.
Does anyone have any comments? Is the correct owners and service manual available anywhere? Where is the best place to buy parts for these motors? Should I go through a local shop, or online?
Thanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 12 years 2 months ago #64281

I ordered a new ignition switch today. It should be here on Friday. So I might install it over the weekend or on Monday.
Chris

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 12 years 2 months ago #64286

CAVU

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 11 years 3 weeks ago #83461

• JRodDv
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
chris ioakimedes wrote:

I printed the Evinrude Lark 35 owners manual that is on this site.

Anyone have a link to this?

EDIT**** Found it!

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 11 years 3 weeks ago #83463

The magneto does not require 12 volts in order to make a spark.
Make sure you have everything sorted out before hooking up a battery !

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 11 years 3 weeks ago #83501

professor wrote:

The magneto does not require 12 volts in order to make a spark.

Make sure you have everything sorted out before hooking up a battery !

ABSOLUTELY!!! the correct switch will have two "M" terminals which connect to the black solenoid wires (shorting them together grounds the points). Connecting either to +12 can blow up a coil!

A "B" terminal should go to +12, the "S" to the starter solenoid.

That's a minimum of 4 terminals.

There are 5-terminal switches with a "C" that goes to the choke solenoid:

(The above diagram shows one of the "M" terminals running to ground, which is wrong -- or at least misleading. At least ONE of the black magneto lines is always grounded (when the point is closed)).

OOPS! The diagram above is for a switch with powered ignition? I'll look for the RIGHT one!

Re:help with Lark 35 Golen Jubilee 11 years 3 weeks ago #83503

Reply as seen immediately above is sound...I'm no expert, but....
don't worry about key ignition or anything relative to starter at this point...locate the two heavy wires coming out from under the flywheel and, if attached to anything,- unattach them and make sure the ends are not together or touching ground...get your timing light if you have one (or buy one of those cheap clear bulbs with a spring inside that attaches between the plug tip and wire boot) and connect, first to one plug wire, then the other....then get in and yank the start cord while observing the light (or spark gizmo)...If no spark on either wire, then consider removing the flywheel to check points and coils.... Ed

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9518 guests and no members online