• Page:

TOPIC: 1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions

1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 11 months ago #48335

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Alright, first off the motor is a '63 Gale 25hp manual shift. Has magneto ignition system, pull start & has a starter. The P/O did a hack job with the wiring from a Johnson control box and had the cut off switch wired presumably as the lights, and the flip switch as the starter. I want to try and go back to the most basic system it had with the following wiring diagram, but I have a few questions as to how I can get this all to work correctly. Currently the power-head is on my engine hoist and the only wires coming from it seemingly come from the magneto and they are two black wires. It crank and run just as it sits hooked to nothing. Heres the diagram in a Gale manual I found:

I've got the starter solenoid, however the motor has NO choke, and as far as I know doesn't have a mercury switch that I've seen? How can I apply this diagram to my situation, in my terms it leaves the magneto wires unaccounted for, and what type of "start Button" will I need? Won't it need to be multiple functions, energize starter, then off etc.. I know the VERY basics of wiring (It might not seem that way) but I just need a logical solution to simply wire the motor to use the starter when need, and be able to turn it off haha. Leaving the whole control box out of the picture and getting new swtiches, maybe even a simple key switch. Thanks in advance guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 11 months ago #48383

The mercury switch is on the throttle control as a safety to keep you from starting with the motor set too high .

The choke coil mounts under the carb
The wiring diagram looks just like a 1957 35 hp with a few items removed

CAVU

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49448

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
This motor has two wires coming from the magneto that are completely left out in the diagram, I DO NOT have a mercury switch, or automatic choke solenoid. The must have been removed at one point. What will I need to make a simple system with a standard magneto ignition switch? Run the two wires from magneto to the two M' terminals on the switch, and run the starter and battery terminals to the appropriate starter solenoid terminals. Just need guidance, thanks!

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49465

For me this is the slmple way to do it. mount the start solsnoid on the motor were ever you can. The 2 black wires run up to the dash with a on and off switch it will work backwards to turn on and off the motor. You run one Hot wire from the battrie up to the dash and put a push button for the starter and one back from there to solanide. Now when you get a chock you hook one side to push button to the hot wire under the dash and back to the chock. That way you only have 4 wires. I get rid of all the control boxs and hook up my motor this way. Its simple.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49478

the 2 wires Black? comming from the mag I assume are the ground or stop wires, a mag system needs no battery power. I dont see them in the diagram .also if you dont have an eletric choke you dont need to wire it . are you going to use a key switch or just a start button? What about a fuse panel? are you running lights? you do know you dont have a charging system on this engine right?

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49491

In 1963 you did not ground the coils if a twin as to shut it down...you may spike the coils and shut one or both cyl down for good. What they did was through your key switch tie both coils together

I will look and see of I can find you the updated diagram...63 was near to a 59 Rude and Johnson...one wire from the mag went through a over run switch that was also tied ti the missing mercury switch

Keep an eye on ebay for a choke solenoid assy You sometime can find the whole thing for around $40

CAVU

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49492

Sorry wrong page there at first

looking for the right one now

This is a newer 33 hp however they should be the same

CAVU

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49518

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ponyboy wrote:

the 2 wires Black? comming from the mag I assume are the ground or stop wires, a mag system needs no battery power. I dont see them in the diagram .also if you dont have an eletric choke you dont need to wire it . are you going to use a key switch or just a start button? What about a fuse panel? are you running lights? you do know you dont have a charging system on this engine right?

Yes, I know theres no charging system. I want to run a key switch, will the two wires coming from the magneto go to the two "M" terminals on the switch? And I'm not worried about wiring the choke, thanks!

Re:1963 Gale 25hp rewiring questions 12 years 10 months ago #49520

Hi,
Yes, I believe the two "M" terminals are connected when the key is "OFF" (and therefore connecting the breaker point wire leads together). The wiring diagram shows this as well, but with the "cut-out" switch in the circuit.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 9877 guests and one member online