• Page:

TOPIC: cam by the carb and linkage

cam by the carb and linkage 4 weeks 2 days ago #148805

• curse
  • curse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 1960 Evinrude Lark 40 that seems to be missing linkage. I tried finding pics but cannot find any good ones that are not "exploded". Should the cam roller touch the plate? And should the cam roller be firm or sloppy when moving the throttle lever and pin assembly? Also, in one of the pics there appears to be linkage missing. I'm trying to figure out how to put vids up on youtube showing what i'm talking about, but until then i'd try pics.

Can anyone help me out with a few good pics of what the setup looks like or point me to a link where I can figure this out?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

cam by the carb and linkage 4 weeks 2 days ago #148806

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
The roller should be touching the brass "cam" as the mag plate rotates to the Primary Pickup mark. IIRC that should be those 2 marks cast into the side of the mag plate. To adjust the roller's bellcrank, loosen the screw on the brass bellcrank that's connected to the throttle rod, and move the roller to contact the throttle cam. After adjustment, tighten that screw to hold the setting.

The missing linkage is an interlock to the recoil starter, which keeps the starter from engaging if the throttle is open too far. Thus it's a safety feature and the motor will run without, but you'd better be durned careful of throttle setting if you're roping-over the engine.

See this diagram, the interlock rod is piece #11 and the interlock bar that engages to jam the rewind is piece #12.

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1960&hp=40&model=35018&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=BIG+TWIN+REWIND+STARTER

Also the attached pic FYI.

Hope that helps.............ed
Attachments:

cam by the carb and linkage 4 weeks 2 days ago #148807

• curse
  • curse's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks Ed, that helps a lot!

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online