Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1979 Evinrude not starting&leaking lower unit oil

1979 Evinrude not starting&leaking lower unit oil 9 years 4 months ago #109818

I bought a 1979 55 hp Evinrude about a year ago and the man said it ran like a top. I heard it run on his boat and it sounded great. Now that I've finally had time to put it on my boat, a year later, it won't start. Turns over strongly but doesn't hit, like its not getting gas even with the bulb kept tight. (on second thought, gas cap vent might've been closed). After I bought it, I cranked it without a gas tank to let it run for a short time on my stand to let the gas pump out of the carb. It didn't run much...so could the carb be gummed????? Today, when it didn't start, I tried squirting carb cleaner into the carb choke area with the panel off. I don't know much about outboards but looked like the choke might of been stuck so I took a screwdriver to gently open the flaps to squirt the cleaner in. Then the next terrific surprise was when I got ready to pull the boat out of the water to let the starter cool down. There was oil coming out of the lower unit. Looked like a little hole by the anti-ventilation plate on the FRONT of the motor (the narrow part that slices the water first). Couldn't really tell but looked like a square hole, like a factory hole? If not a factory hole, is this just something that can be fixed with a tig welder and replace the lower unit oil with fresh oil? So I have two problems on this motor that need advice. I expected trouble on the first trip out and looks like I've jinxed myself. Help please. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1979 Evinrude not starting&leaking lower unit oil 9 years 4 months ago #109822

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hopefully one of the real mechanics will jump in and help here, but a couple thoughts in the meantime;

I always add some StarTron or SeaFoam to the gas when mixing, in case it has to sit for a while. Even if you run the gas out of the carbs there is still some in the float bowls. May not be the problem, but food for thought in the future.

Is there a dead-man switch on this motor. Don't get mad, but it happens! Check to make sure it's set properly, then check for spark at the plugs. If everything is good there, maybe pull the float bowls to check for gunk there.

It sounds like unburned fuel dripping from one of the drain holes, I wouldn't be too concerned with that. (DON'T go welding those holes closed, they're there for a good reason.) I would pull the plug on the gear lube to check and make sure there is no water in there, good idea regardless.

Let us know how it goes, good luck with it.

Mark

Re:1979 Evinrude not starting&leaking lower unit oil 9 years 4 months ago #110394

I checked for spark and it had good spark. Got the carbs soaked and cleaned. Still wouldn't start. But then I realized the choke was manually turned off (the switch at the front of the powerhead on top). Runs great now. But I must've hooked the throttle cables up wrong when I rigged the motor on the boat. I have an interesting story about my minor boat accident that the throttle cables caused...I posted it in a new topic with questions about hooking the cables up right. Topic is called QUESTIONS: 79' Evinrude throttle cables. Thanks for the help in troubleshooting the motor MarkS.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8433 guests and no members online