• Page:

TOPIC: OMC Diodes

OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #106529

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have two older diodes from previous projects that I'm going to use on my next setup. I'm moving all electric(s), key, choke, etc. to the dash vs the shift lever control box which is broken and missing the pusher buttons and then install a single lever Morse for speed. It's a '70 65hp hydro. I'm setting up a push/pull nav light switch for my shifter and it is working fine. I need to install a diode in the circuit so the engine won't leap forward on shutdown. I know where the diode needs to go but how do I test these things for current flow direction. Can I use an ohm meter?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #106544

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
If you have a decent multimeter, you can check the front-to-back ratio of the diode; it should have a very high resistance in one direction, and a much lower resistance when measuring with the polarity of the test leads swapped.

Here's a website with a much better explanation than I can make:

www.learnabout-electronics.org/diodes_05.php

Some meters even have a "diode test" position, which I imagine might use a bit higher voltage than the "ohms" scale.

My Sears digital VOM has both the "omega" symbol and a symbol for a diode on the same setting, so I presume it's got enough "pep" on that setting to do either.

HTH...........ed

Re: OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #106548

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ed, thanks for the link. Makes it easy when I have an actual picture.

Re: OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #107063

Morse made a electric shift switch kit for the Hydromatic. It fit into their single lever controllers where the shift cable would have been mounted. This would be for a Morse single lever control that did both shift and throttle functions.

Re: OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #107064

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Do they still make those? I'll search for them. I do have a chrome Morse single lever shifter. The mechanics on the back are all intact and with two cables. I'm assuming the shifter add-on would be mounted behind the unit and have some kinda lever setup.
Thanks for the info.
Cal

Re: OMC Diodes 9 years 6 months ago #107283

2 things Cal:

1) Morse was bought by Teleflex (now called SeaStar Solutions) about 10 years ago. Morse name is long gone. I have never seen the Morse switch but it seems reasonable to me that they made one,

2) Remember there was the electric shift and the hydro-electric shift. Electric shift was the non-thru hub exhaust and hydro-electric was thru-hub exhaust like yours. Electric shift used power to shift into gear & defaulted into neutral with the loss of power, Hydro-electric defaulted into forward and shifted to neutral or reverse by providing power to the one or both solenoids. I can't remember the exact system at this time. But the important thing to remember is that the switches are different between the 2 systems.

Bottom line is that even with the OEM J/E controls there was 2 different wiring (switch) types along with push buttons for Evinrude & single lever for Johnson.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8304 guests and no members online