Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Possible Re-power need advice

Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104590

Hi all,

Now that winter has fully set in here I've had some time to think about whether or not I should re-power my boat. The main reason for the re-power is that I would like a bit more performance.

The boat is a 1962 14' crownline, and it is currently powered by a 1962 Johnson 40hp. Currently the boat cruises comfortably with 3 people at about 22-25 mph. With just me and no passengers in the boat I can get up to around 30mph. I would like to gain 5mph or so in both scenarios.

2 seasons ago I completely rebuilt the transom and it is probably stronger than when it left the factory. I am not worried about whether or not it can take a larger motor.

I've been doing some research and I'm kind of undecided what I should do? Currently there is a 1970 60hp evinrude 3cyl. looper for sale that is reasonably priced. Do you guys think that a 60hp would even gain the 5mph or so? I realize that there will be extra weight, it will use more gas, and it will no longer be an original boat motor match.

I would like to hear what you guys think about all of this.

Thanks!
Scott
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104620

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Go for it. I see no problem. Friend mine has a restored Dorsett that he just switched the 50hp, for an 80. (Look my avatar as thats a 15.6 Flat bottom, with a 135 TOP, but boat built for it) But I'm a small boat more HP guy!

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104634

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
In the late 70's, I repowered a 14' Starcraft similar to your boat. Went from a 40hp Johnson to a 50hp Merc. Gained 12 mph. The boat just ran more efficiently above 30mph, which the Johnson could not do.

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104636

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
I'd say that you'll gain a lot more than 5 mph with that 60hp Looper. You'll probably be surprised at the improved fuel consumption at anything less than full throttle. The Looper design is much improved over the old Big Twin.

Be sure to test run the 60hp in the water if possible. If not, take compression readings and if they vary more than just a few psi, the motor likely has internal problems. Just about the first thing these old Triples do when they start wearing out is get really fussy at idle. You won't be able to tell unless you can put a load on it (in lake or test barrel, in gear) to see how it idles.

Check the gear lube carefully; the Looper has a Hydroelectric lower unit and if the seals are leaking, the oil wil be contaminated, and that's bad for shifting action. Make sure you check out how it shifts to Neutral and Reverse when it's running. BTW, the gearbox is always in forward with the engine off.

If it checks out, I think you'll be very happy with the performance. Years ago I had a 100hp Merc on a 14' Fiberform V-hull, so I don't think you'd be pushing it too much with a 60hp!

Check the mfr's plate to see if the hull is rated for the horsepower, otherwise if you want to carry insurance on the hull the underwriter probably won't accept it.

HTH & G'luck...........ed

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104646

Thanks for all the replies all. I talked to the owner of the looper last night and it turns out that the motor is a long shaft. I need a short shaft for my boat.

This may be a stupid question, but did they make a short shaft 60hp looper? If so, is there any easy way tell by looking at a long-shaft vs short?

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104680

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey motoscott, there are 2 short shaft 55 hp motors for sale in the classifieds . check them out. frog

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104694

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Motoscott.
Boy, talk about perfect timing. Seems that was a decent package back in the sixties. A forty on a 14 footer was a perfect setup. The weight of the old 40's should be close to what the "newer" 60, I'm guessing here.
Right now I'm where you were two seasons ago. I picked up a 13 1/2 ft Crestliner Mustang and am putting a new transom in it this week. I have a '70 'rude 65hp hydro that I'm going to put on it. I posted on the main forum about raising the transom since the motor is a long shaft. Right now it has a 15" transom and when I rebuild it I'll be adding another 5".
The little buggers should fly if you can hold them down without control issues. I'm also going to change the steering from spring loaded cable system to a direct single that should help with torque.
Keep us posted on your progress, I'll be watching.
Attachments:

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104711

Thanks for the heads up on the motors on the classifieds. I sent an email and will see what the seller says.

Craigslist in my area is pretty slim-pickins right now. There is a Johnson stinger (ugly orange thing) for sale, but that is also a long-shaft :(. The good thing is that I have a few months before I will really need one so I can take my time and find a nice clean motor. I can always run my 40hp until I find one also.

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104713

motoscott909,

Inasmuch as you asked for advice, my opinion is to NOT over-power that little Crownline, by exceeding the recommended USCG-rated maximum HP.

Further, you have already one of the all-time BEST & toughest OBs already & that is the correct year for the hull.

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104730

Hey,

I agree with SATX about the HP, so I checked the library.

There is no 14' listed for 1962, but the ones for 1961 state 85 max HP, so from that perspective, and your rebuild of transom should be fine.

Do keep in mind that with that power comes more weight. Your current engine s about 130-135 lb., a '70's=80's omc 65 HP runs around 180-200 from what I could find. So rear end sits lower, etc.

May or may not make a difference.

you may also want to check what prop is on the 40hp Depending on the size and pitch, you may be able to get another 1-3 MPH with a different prop.

Either way, sunds like fun!

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104735

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
IMHO the 4-cyl 44-ci Merc in its numerous iterations would be the perfect classic motor for your classic boat. It certainly won't be overpowered, and should get significantly better economy than the Big Twin. Anything from a MK58 45hp to a 70's 50hp will push your boat along just Dandy and be quite economical while doing it. There were lots of short shaft Mercs mfr'd in the 50's & 60's, by the end of the 70's very few were made. If you happen to find a 70's short shaft 50hp Merc in good running shape, snap it up! Even a late 50's or 60's motor can still be very serviceable if it's not a Salty Dog.

The small Merc Fours are very easy to start, even with the recoil. And when running right, the idle can't be beat.

Maybe something will pop up in your local Craigslist; at least there's still time before boating starts. As you say, you can always run your 40hp until then.

One thing that always seems to happen is, just before boating season starts, the stuff starts coming out of the woodwork. Guess everyone is thawing out from Winter by then and thinking about getting rid of that old motor they aren't using any more. Hard to get excited about things like that in the middle of Winter when you don't even want to go outside. Or buried in snow!!

Keep an eye peeled & Good Luck with the hunt.........ed

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104744

Thanks for all the input everyone.

In regards to the max HP rating, I don't think the boat ever had a plaque stating what it is attached anywhere. If it did, it has been gone for a very long time. From the history I know of the boat I have no reason to believe that the motor on it is not the original motor from new. If I do find another larger motor for the boat I will keep the old 40hp close by in case I ever want to make it original again.

I'm going to keep looking for a larger motor but in the meantime maybe you guys can help shed some light on the 40's current performance?

When I bought the boat, the motor had a Michigan wheel 10.5x13 pitch prop. With that prop it never seemed to fully rev. I had an old 10.5x12 pitch laying around and after I did the swap it actually gained about 2mph and the rpms seemed higher. I had figured that the 13 pitch would have made it go faster but I was wrong.

I would really like to check RPM to be sure I am getting the little 40's full potential but I am not sure how to hook one up? I have hooked a few up on cars but there always seems to be a dedicated tach wire coming out of the distributor to hook to. Can anyone describe which wires I would use?

Thanks, Scott

Re:Possible Re-power need advice 9 years 8 months ago #104753

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Scott, here's a link I found that gives formulas for figuring boat motor capacity.
www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144
I was curious also and the 14' Crestliner I'm working on with a 20" transom is rated tops for 65hp.
Thanks for bringing the subject up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8210 guests and no members online