Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson

Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104085

Frustration is not the word for it. I have an auto Lite starter model MDH 4001 M. I have tried two sources and both go to the same part number 5376 but the spacing of the bolts going through the starter is too wide for my starter bracket. The spacing outside to outside is exactly 2.5 inches checked with a caliper. Arco marine says that that is the spacing of their starter but there is a modification that can be made to the starter to make it work. My starter cannot be rebuilt so I am told because of the armature being bad. my next thought is to try to drill and tap new holes in my starter bracket. What a pain. Please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104132

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Any numbers on your old starter Phil? (Most of the application guides only go back to 1965 here.)

Mark

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104148

Thanks for the reply.... No other identification other than MDH4001 M Auto Lite as stated initially. It is on a plate riveted to the case.

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104153

Should be 6-volt, short and fat starter unless it was upgraded to 12 volt?
www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Evinrudesbes392.pdf

Lots of knowledge and parts sources at the Antique Outboard Motor Club: aomci.org

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104165

Thanks Andy.... I'm aware that it was built as a 6v but doesn't matter to me at this point because it is no good. My Johnson really doesn't know whether it is being started by a 12v or a 6v battery and there is no generator so I will go with a 12V and just have a resistor on the electric choke. I just want to start this in any manner other than pulling a rope. I'll take a look at the antique outboard site but I'm leaning toward re-tapping the mounting bracket and going with the new starter that has a warranty.

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104166

• MarkS
MDH4001M comes up as a 12V Prestolite motor, replacement available as Arrowhead part number SAB0109 = Your cost $65.89 = shipping - 1 yr warranty. Let me know if you want further info Phil, I have one in stock where I work.

Mark

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104171

That is awesome, Mark. Since you have one at work, Could you make an accurate measurement for me? I need to know the "outside to outside" distance of the bolts coming out the top of the starter. They need to be 2 1/2". The place I got the replacement starter that I have now said it was the right one but the distance was 2 19/32 outside to outside. I sure don't need two that won't work. Thanks a bunch..... Phil

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104173

• MarkS
They look like 2 1/2" center to center Phil, here's a pic
(The light glared on the ruler, sorry.)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104175

If worst comes to worst I have 1 or 2 spares...Just finding them for I have been moving things around

The part # 277432

Go to page 12
www.marineengine.com/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2750/catalog.html?/parts/vintage-evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2750/ITEM_275000001.htm

These starters are all but bullet proof. Take them apart once a year to clean and lub them and replace the brushes when they get worn...they keep on going and will out last the bunny with the drum

CAVU

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104196

Thanks everyone for coming to my rescue. You wouldn't think that 3/32 of an inch would make that big of a difference, but it is just about the width of the bolt. The outside to outside must be 2 1/2 inches. I measure it that way because it is real easy to just put the calipers on that way. Therefore as you stated, if yours is 2 1/2" center to center it will not work. That starter looks exactly like the one I have so I will have the same problem. I even took it apart and elongated the holes in the top cap of the motor. It mounted to the bracket, but then the armature would not turn because the bolts were in the way. If you be more sure of that measurement, I'll buy it. Thanks.....

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104219

• MarkS
I'll put the digital caliper on it at work Monday Phil, then we'll know for sure.

Mark

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104255

That would be great, Mark.

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104282

• MarkS
2.5006 in. outside to outside.

Mark

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104360

Nice Mark! What do I need to do to get it? I'll be home tomorrow late and can get going on it Thursday. Please let me know..... Thanks again!
Phil

Re:Starter for 30hp 1956 Johnson 9 years 8 months ago #104363

• MarkS
You can call me at work (8-5 Eastern M-W-F) at 1-eight hundred - 24one - forty3eighty9, ext. 1023. Or you can send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call, either way no problem.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8267 guests and no members online