Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Topic - Old Boat

New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102313

Some of you have been reading about the old fishing boat basket case I picked up & I really appreciate your help - I can find my way around a car/truck & recently learned how to speak ATV - but learning boat repair is like learning Dutch.

Also - if I should be posting these questions someplace else let me know.

Next issue - I bought the boat with the lower unit off - they had smacked a rock & poked a hole in it. The hole has been repaired & I oiled it up & buttoned her back onto the engine.

How in the heck to you re-attach the shift rod to the shifter? From the starboard side of the engine I can see both pieces that need to go together.

I can see it well enough to know a bolt is needed from the port side.

From the port side I can't see squat.

So - my questions are.....

1 - what size bolt to use? Its a 1982 Evinrude 115 - I have not found that particular part on any of the diagrams I've searched.

2 - Do I need to take the engine off the boat or stand on my head & break dance to get the new bolt in there? Should I use any lock tight? I'd hate to have it come out while cruising.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What the heck did I get myself into? Free boats are never free!

Re: New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102314

There is an engine forum for Johnny~Rudes:

JEGO's Place

I'd post outboard motor & controls questions there. Steering in a thread about your boat, IMO.

I personally like to see boat projects from beginning to end all in 1 thread. That way if a question arises, it's hopefully easier to find previously posted info. Other's prefer to split a project up into parts and pieces based on whatever portion is being worked on is the ONLY info in a thread. And start new threads for each phase.

If all together, I get to see the before and after all in 1 'place', with the progress in the middle. That's my own personal preference.

Others will have different thoughts & reasoning.

Good luck w/ your project & motor

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102319

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I moved your thread here where you are more likely to get a response brassmonkey, hope you don't mind......

Some of the older OMC's you need to remove the pivot bolt in the middle of the bell crank linkage under the bottom carb to unhook the shift linkage. (The two halves of the linkage came apart releasing the vertical shift shaft). Somewhere in the mid 70's they started using a bolt between the two linkage pieces, it unscrewed from the front if I recall. Not sure about an '82 model, that's a little newer than I have any experience with.

You don't have to pull the motor, or stand on your head, but on the earlier models I swear it was just about easier to pull the bottom carb to get at it! LOL (It can be done without doing so, just takes skinny fingers, needle nose pliers, etc..) ;)

Mark

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102329

Thank you Mark!

The temp dropped to 25* today - I think I missed my boating window for the season (sooo close!).

I was wondering if I had to remove the lower cover from the power head - it looks like 6 or 8 bolts hold it on & that may give a little more space - I don't know.

I really cant even see the connections from the port side.

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102338

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
brassmonkey wrote:

Thank you Mark!

The temp dropped to 25* today - I think I missed my boating window for the season (sooo close!).

I was wondering if I had to remove the lower cover from the power head - it looks like 6 or 8 bolts hold it on & that may give a little more space - I don't know.

I really cant even see the connections from the port side.

Same deal here, 70's yesterday and 50's today, 40's by the weekend.

You shouldn't have to pull or drop the lower cowling, but as I recall it does help to pull the control cables off the starboard side of the motor to gain access. (Be careful to note their position and not change the adjustments.)

Mark

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102346

i forget the size.. but all you need is a long 1/4in extension and socket.. i kind of like to put a little tape around the bolt holding it in the socket from falling out..

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102389

I'm going to try again this weekend. I didn't have the bolt - the previous owner "lost" all the bolts in his shop somewhere - so the one I bought is an alan wrench - I think that was a mistake - I may run to ACE & pick up a plain ol' bolt & use my flex extension.

Wish me luck - BTW, i called the local repair shop - he wanted $100 - to me that means it will take him 15 minutes or less to get it done. If he can do it in 15 minutes I can do it in a day.

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102493

Got it.

Since I'm using an alan head bolt on the shift lever - I had to cut the "L" off an alan wrench & glue it into a socket.

then I was able to use my flex joints on extensions to reach into the tight spot & attach it all.

Shifted into neutral - cranks over easy now.

Still didn't start - but it's like 15 degrees out & though I heat the garage while I'm out there - its mostly just as cold in there as outside.

So I'm hoping its just cold. The next warm day I get I'll try a little starting fluid to see if it will pop.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Re:New Topic - Old Boat 9 years 10 months ago #102501

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Now you're fitting right in the shade tree mechanic slot. Glad to see ya improvise! A fella after my own heart.
Colder n hell up here in Green Bay also, windy, chill is -8 now.
Hey, how 'bout dem bears huh? :angry:

If I could give more than one karma I would.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8266 guests and no members online