Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp for FREE

67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp for FREE 9 years 11 months ago #101096

Decided to go a different route with projects so I sold all my boats but I still have the glasspar. Letting the boat go for free or 400 firm with trailer and a 115 hp merc that needs repair. Here is a link to my craigslist ad. stockton.craigslist.org/boa/4903340791.html

Picked this up a few months ago for 100 bucks with no paperwork, boat is out of dmv system and just had to do a lein sale on the trailer, got all that out of the way before finally digging into it.

Started with the motor, needed some rewiring,

new ignition cylinder, turns over no problem. Dumped a little gas down the carbs to see if it would fire up or have spark, got it running for a couple seconds, so it seemed promising. Then went to check the compression and it was a little scattered, 2 and 4 were a little on the low side, but 1 and 3 were pretty decent, not to bad I guess for a them being dry.

More to come as I make more progress.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101103

Congrats Brandon. Yeah she'll run just fine for now. Once she's running run a few tanks of gas with Seafoam in them and you'll be surprised at the outcome. My Fat Fifty was at 75 and 80 but after a few tanks of gas/seafoam it was at 90 across the board.

Bob

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101168

Thank you bob! I got a chance to put the engine in a garbage can of water for some testing. Starts up and runs so smooth but won't stay running and I have no throttle response. I have a feeling it has a bad fuel pump diaphragm. It kinda runs the same way as my 64 starflite 90hp when the diaphragm was bad, lol. Good thing I have an extra, haha.

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101180

Yeah if they've been sitting for a long time I just automatically get a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Did that for the '59 and the '67. Actually rebuilt the carbs too.

Bob

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101223

So I dug into the fuel pump today to replace the diaphragm. It wasn't in horrible condition but was brittle, but there was some kind of sugar like substance on the pressure side of the diaphragm, cleaned it out and replaced it. Still ran the same way, it would start up and idle but have no throttle response and eventually starve of fuel unless I continued to prime. I'm thinking the carb needs a rebuild. Any thoughts?

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101225

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm with Bob (Watersings) Brandon, unless I've done it myself in the last few years a carb clean-out and fresh gaskets would be in order there as well. If there's junk in the F.P., chances are good the float bowls and needle valves etc. need cleaned out as well.

Good time to replace fuel hoses too!

Mark

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101270

Ok, so I pulled the carb and dismantled it to find out that it must have been resealed before, the gaskets weren't even stuck and peeled off easily and the rubber seals were in good shape too so I just flipped them over. There where a few clogged ports so sprayed carb clean shot it with the air compressor through all the ports. Cleaned it all up and put it back together. Put new hoses on also. Fired it up and seems to have throttle response now and much better idling. But there is one concern I have, it went through 2 gallons of gas way to fast. And even though I do have throttle response it seems like it bogs down, I have to slowly give it throttle for it rev.

Does anyone know how to adjust this or lean it out? It has adjustment for idle and that's all I see. lol.
Attachments:

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101271

I would try richening the idle mixture.

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101281

It only has low speed adjustable jets, the high speed are preset. Turn the needle valves all the way, until they bottom out but don't force them. Turn the 1 1/2 turns out and start from there. The barrel will get you close but the real final tweak is on the water. You'll need someone to drive her while you tweak the carb.

Bob

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101294

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Does the admiral know you are using one of her towels :laugh:

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101296

63 Sabre wrote:

Does the admiral know you are using one of her towels :laugh:

Hahaha, oh I would be hearing it if it was, but its just some old carwash towels I have.

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101297

Gona try some new plugs and clean up the wires, cap and rotor. Coil has a crack starting, probably wouldn't hurt just to replace it anyway. lol

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 11 months ago #101310

Pictures pictures pictures. Still have a long way to go but thought I'd see how it looked a little cleaned up.
Not sure if these gauges will ever work again but I'm sure gona try to use them.

Still got to mount the motor, transom seems to be in good shape, need to pick up some new nuts and bolts.

Re:67 Avalon w/67 sportfour 60hp project begins 9 years 7 months ago #106286

Looking good I'm still working on my 66' Avalon! I'm on the interior and rewire! Happy Boating!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8494 guests and no members online