• Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion

Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 10 years 17 hours ago #100847

• jason m
  • jason m's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I own a 14 ft 1962 SeaSwirl P-14. It has a 17 inch transom. the boat motor from where it mounts to the boat down to the skig right before the propeller is where I believe I get my measurement from and it seems to me that it's too long and it needs that 5 inch spacer to be removed. Curious how that's done and what parts I need. The Boat motor is an Evinrude Big Twin. I was told it's a 40 horse. Cannot find the serial number to confirm that. So by looking at the pictures, can anyone tell me about what year it is and possibly what I have? Thank you!

Update: now know what motor I have, has anyone done this conversion or what parts to start pulling off to get it ready for instance drive shaft water pump I don't know what to pull off to get at those parts

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 10 years 16 hours ago #100848

hi Jason...looks like you are measuring correctly...you should find a "freeze" plug on the top of your power head that has the nombers stamped in it....will let you look up the year and hp....you will need a drive shaft and a short shift connector (brass thing inside the exhaust housing)...water tubes may have an extention that comes off or you could cut them....good time to change the waterpump impellor....good luck john

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 10 years 15 hours ago #100850

• jason m
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks John I found the numbers on the freeze plug and on the top bracket that attaches to the transom 1963 Big Twin 40 Horse so now its a parts hunt.

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 10 years 15 hours ago #100851

sorry....forgot, there's a long bolt at the rear (holds lower unit on) that will need to be 5" shorter also...be sure to check new drive shaft as they get tore up a lot where the waterpump/bearing go....think I'm trading for a not running 40....if I do and you are not in a hurry, might have the parts, john

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 10 years 8 hours ago #100860

• jason m
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sounds good keep me informed and we may be able to work something out no hurry its a winter project.

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 9 years 11 months ago #101339

Jason,
Don't want to step on John's toes, but I have the short shaft drive shaft, shift shaft connector and water tubes if you would care to do a trade. I am looking to convert a short shaft to long shaft.
Paul

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 9 years 11 months ago #101773

• jason m
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes I could be interested in a trade if you still have the parts

Re: Evinrude Big Twin long to short shaft conversion 9 years 11 months ago #101800

Jason,
Sent you an email through your profile. I do have the parts and would love to do a trade.
Paul

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6991 guests and 2 members online