• Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Farm Find E. TENN

1959 Farm Find E. TENN 12 years 10 months ago #51357

• Split
  • Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
GUYS.: Finally have my latest Center Deck in the garage that I moved home last month.. End of Sept driving back from a AOMCI meet I spotted a White speedster & Deep Vee along a long driveway at a neglected farm property.. Turned around & no luck finding people at the locked gate , & "No Tresspass" signs all along fence , I left a note across street & E-mail id
Nothing. Kept thinking of the rig as I could see a Blue Band Merc on the back..We wrote to another motor member & one day he drove by & left more notes & phone # at houses..A few days later he got a call, boat is rough inside , IS For Sale..I was given the # as floor / transom work sounded too involved for AL collector.. 50 Mile drive up to farm & 1st look had me excited ..Farmer said on phon e the windshield , seats, & Prop were gone when they got it. He said it had the notch down rear end as well as SHORT shaft motor. .. Up close look had both side StarBurst Medalions, & both front grab bars.. I knew it was 59 with the rear side outline of DECALS, flat front floor , 3 piece nose trim... He really did not have current reg,, but I agree on his full price ask , which was quit low. Motor is 1973 & not seized,,newer single cable teleflex steering.,,white rub rail .... Next week in rain I went back with extra HUBS as the tires were air flat off the bead..Transom brace (Saver) for the lowere weight support & temp clamp on Light Bar kit. Trailer ome a few exits on the interstate..... 1st day was floor /trowel shovel out looking for the small brass ID tag usually on the inside. I had two center decks before,but they had 20 " raised rear & no windshield & not much trim....NO TAG, but 2nd day needed to de-rig the motor & get weight off rear,, after removing the two splashwell screws, I noticed extra Zolatone up the transom, closer look had a TWO INCH DISC on the port side of the ski hook / bolt with a series of numbers..!! YES the Glasspar code was impressed on this disc...13 x . 9 & a "N" for Nashville build .0206

The next few days had top side clean up & just a few typical spider checks on the cross brace.. Rub rail had nests of ants, & most of the rivots are now drilled & punched thru, for deck removal..At the same time my motor friend 25 miles to north offered me about four ,four cyl models from 67 - 72..So now have three short shaft possibilities. Yesterday went to a repair dealer looking for TWO ignition keys for control / shift boxes, both brothers must have tried 35 keys , but no luck , I bought one new switch, as one channel was quite gouged , maybe a hot screwdriver or plier to remove a prior broken key .??I unscrewed the box halved & if still a MERC switch there is a THREE # code on the inside. This one showed 128 , & my guess in the early 70's #'s may run 101- 135 .(?)

. Would like to talk to other speedsters owners in this Mid Atlantic / Blue Grass region about their boats/ restoration status, or meet up in Spring for shows,/ photo shoots cruise. !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Farm Find E. TENN 12 years 10 months ago #51362

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to see you got her moved inside and starting the process, Larry! Did the Merc tool make it up there yet?

Mark

Re:1959 Farm Find E. TENN 12 years 10 months ago #51452

Larry, congratulations on finding a G-3! That boat is a LONG WAY from that nice Seafair you got.

Re:1959 Farm Find E. TENN 12 years 10 months ago #51507

• Split
  • Split's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
THANKS there Mr RED 60.: Course at 1/7th the price of the Sedan, I think there is still good value going forward since it is a 59... I know of 5,, 1st yr builds, & would guess there is less than 10 around
the county..(?) . The Sedan should make a pic in the 2012 Calendar
out soon .. I still had to replace the back floor in the 67 & after two rides is opened up for a transom in the Sedan..

. Can also get it inside the garage for the winter & keep puttering. . Also have acquired some short shaft motors, so I am happy for now.. It did come with a 71 ORANGE Dilly trl , where Orange is sort of the state color for Tenn football team.. PS. Part II have not told many friends , seller said his relative has a another exc cond Center Deck, closer to me, under a car port with windshield.. Missing a motor should be available to good home .!!

. Here is a pic from today , found a great cond Prop at the Flea Mkt Sat , slight paint chip , but very little usage , 19 " pitch , seller came down to $ 8.. Has the 13 spline pattern, but a Vee groove , not the Flat Top Merc. . The shop today said a removable
Michigan VORTEX unit, & hammer tap out the front square & rear , Brass spline circle... With a correct adapter this could be a tester
prop for the 80 hp mota.
................... .............. ...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6133 guests and one member online