Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Let the addiction begin... Where do i start?

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 8 months ago #89267

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank,

That's a beautiful cat. But, what's wrong with it now?

Free stuff is usually worth what you pay for it... Did a tree fall on it or something?

I agree that the twins would look good on the back of that boat. Probably haul a55 to!

I may be interested, if want to email me through this site that'd be great.

Thanks,

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 8 months ago #89269

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63g3 wrote:

At some point banging, tugging, heating and prying damages stuff. Save your frustrating battles for those that have no good alternatives.

I really like this statement.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 8 months ago #89326

What's wrong with it is after Brian redid it (and he spent a boatload of time and $ doing that!), his wife can't get in and out of it. He's getting rid of a bunch of stuff. He asked me if I wanted it, but I can't afford twins. I'm lucky to have one boat! He has other project boats to give away, but I think they're all wood and need substantial time and effort. He already sold the twins he had on the Power Cat, and if he can't give it away, he says he's gonna junk it. I think he wants $1600 or $1700 for the new trailer he bought a few years ago for it, but is amenable just to giving the boat away, with you providing the trailer.

Basically, it just needs twins back on it and go! These Power Cats are great boats on the water, too bad they quit making them.

Frank

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89382

Yep, Frank is correct, in this case 'too good to be true' is true AND good. The price of the trailer would not pay for 1/4 of the labor Brian put in to this boat, much less materials. The trailer is only a year or two old. If you have a trailer already this trailer would sell for nearly what you are paying for the whole rig.

I still don't believe Brian is doing this....

BTW, Frank if you let him junk that boat I'm coming up there to kick both yer tails!

Bernie

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89395

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I've emailed him with a list of questions and my cell.

Basically to keep everyone happy this would have to replace the MFG.

But as that is the boat we use on the weekends this powercat would need to seat the 4 of us comfortably. The mfg has an open bow, but with the hardtop the powercat has about 2/3 less room to walk around.

Plus I have my eye on a 20' well craft cuddy.

Ahhh. Why is my last name not Trump!?!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89396

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I've emailed him with a list of questions and my cell.

Basically to keep everyone happy this would have to replace the MFG.

But as that is the boat we use on the weekends this powercat would need to seat the 4 of us comfortably. The mfg has an open bow, but with the hardtop the powercat has about 2/3 less room to walk around.

Plus I have my eye on a 20' well craft cuddy.

Ahhh. Why is my last name not Trump!?!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89475

Oldskier wrote:

Yep, Frank is correct, in this case 'too good to be true' is true AND good. The price of the trailer would not pay for 1/4 of the labor Brian put in to this boat, much less materials. The trailer is only a year or two old. If you have a trailer already this trailer would sell for nearly what you are paying for the whole rig.

BTW, Frank if you let him junk that boat I'm coming up there to kick both yer tails!

Bernie

Gee! Oh well, we'd love to see ya Bernie, but Brian may be gone by the time the snow clears and you can make it up here, and then it's just my tail gettin kicked. I'd take that 18DC off his hands, but can't afford a couple Mercs for it.

I can't wait for summer; hopefully we'll get one!

Frank

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89480

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
PC1000 wrote:

Oldskier wrote:

Bernie

Gee! Oh well, we'd love to see ya Bernie, but Brian may be gone by the time the snow clears and you can make it up here, and then it's just my tail gettin kicked. I'd take that 18DC off his hands, but can't afford a couple Mercs for it.

I can't wait for summer; hopefully we'll get one!

Frank

HEY! Hands off!! :)

I've been emailing Brian so don't poach this out from under me!

Although I have not pulled the trigger i'm about to.

I just want to contact a notary in PA to make sure i'm not going to have any problems with registration for both the boat and trailer.

Since the Twins might take a year or two to finish (getting the funds together) I'm thinking of putting my '68 merc 1000 on it in the center. Maybe end up with 3 on it!!! :) Or when the twins are done put a small kicker motor in the middle.

But to make everyone happy i might have to sell the MFG Chevron and Holsclaw trailer.

Thinking of doing the motors in white with black cowling or maybe silver cowling.

But hey, if anyone wants to visit it in PA, feel free stop by!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89521

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very glad to hear that Power Cat may be going to a good home, you'll NEVER find another deal like that IMHO! Watching Mr. Lawson restore that DC from start to finish here was one of my first full projects to observe and hopefully learn from one of the masters. Good luck with the deal D, hope everything works out for you.

Mark

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89526

How ya doin Mark?

I agree, I sure hope that Power Cat finds a good home, especially one with twin merc1000's!

Frank

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89582

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
As of our last email we are just waiting for global warming to kick in so we can get her out of the ice and snow.

Been on the phone with a notary here in pa to make sure I get all the paperwork the first time. They were confused about transferable registration that NY has.

Too bad the mercs are not ready to go!

I want to post a question to the powercat site. But maybe some of you are on both.

I've seen cats with a short shaft motor in the middle and long shafts on the outside.

My question is could I pout my long shaft merc 1000 on her in the middle just till the other 2 are done?

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89625

dlatshaw wrote:

As of our last email we are just waiting for global warming to kick in so we can get her out of the ice and snow.

Been on the phone with a notary here in pa to make sure I get all the paperwork the first time. They were confused about transferable registration that NY has.

Too bad the mercs are not ready to go!

I want to post a question to the powercat site. But maybe some of you are on both.

I've seen cats with a short shaft motor in the middle and long shafts on the outside.

My question is could I pout my long shaft merc 1000 on her in the middle just till the other 2 are done?

I'm not up on what Power Cats take what shaft motors, but the short answer is sure, it just might not run great. Short shaft being 15", long being 20"? Brian would know that about his 18DC for sure, but I have no clue what shaft length the j-rude twins he had on that thing were.

When you put a long shaft on a short shaft transom, the motor drags, but it does work. I know, as I once did the same thing with an older boat I had till somebody corrected me about shaft length.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89681

Dont have the specs on the 18DC but I do know that on a cat with a single outboard, the issue is cavitation when trying to turn. If you are getting the boat, go ahead and become a member at

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PowerCatBoat/info

There are a few 18c's (same hull without the cabin) on there and the owners may know your answer but the main thing is you will be able to contact Danny Leger (son of the original Powercat Corp. owner Ray Leger) and if Danny don't know the deal, nobody does.

Bernie

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89692

I can attest to the cavitation issue. To avoid it I must run my merc deeper on the transom thus costing me several mph. Ron

Re:Let the addiction begin... Where do i start? 10 years 7 months ago #89698

• L115
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Following up on Randy's idea, you may want to give up on that frozen steering engine.

Here is an ad for a 950SS engine (NOT MINE) that I have actually seen and examined quite closely. For a 1966, it appears to be in remarkably good condition, and yes, it swivels and tilts freely. It's in Northern WI with all fresh water use. I talked to the seller last summer, and he told me it was re-built about 12 years ago, and has not been run in over 10 years. If I had a boat for it, I would have bought it, as I thought the $450 price was reasonable, and it's a sharp looking engine. I would think this engine could be paired with a '65 1000 with a simple decal set change on either engine (see nymarine.ca)

greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/4271277839.html

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6896 guests and no members online