Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 65 merc 1000 update

Re:65 merc 1000 update 10 years 7 months ago #90231

I had a similar problem with my 1970 StarCraft w/ 140hp Suzuki, gave me fits of trial and error! Limped back to dock w/ friend constantly squeezing primer bulb! So starving for fuel??

Long story short (after going through all 4 carbs carefully myself, and was not the problem) I removed Suzuki quick connect fuel line from top of fuel tank. #2. took a wrench and removed male quick connect fitting, turned over fuel line fitting and looked into treaded end, looked like black debris up in there. Inserted a piece of wire in to it and came out with BLACK GUNK! Where in the hell did this crud come from?! It came from the inside of the old black rubber original equipment vent hose... slow deterioration dropping rubber particles into fuel tank. Removed fuel from tank and filtered, cleaned out fuel tank.

Replace or clean fitting, replaced ALL fuel line from tank to engine and between carbs. Some carbs have plastic fuel fittings, be careful. I used a razor knife and cut a slit in fuel line over fitting, then gently remove.
Replaced vent hose. Problem over! : )

BTW I have never used regular fuel w/ 10% ethanol. This was just an old age fuel/vent line issue. However, as you might already know, use of 10% ethanol fuel WILL ACCELERATE this kind of fuel system mess for a number of reasons on boats, all small engines also!

Some gas stations in my town sell NON ETHONOL premium fuel, or I buy at the fuel dock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:65 merc 1000 update 10 years 6 months ago #90642

Thanks guys. Mark when I obtained the boat last year I did remove the tank and emptied out the old fuel and changed that w/s filter. Cleaned up the outside good. But did not remove the pick up tube . It is a threaded fitting on top of the tank and looks like it would be destroyed by attempted removal. I was hoping it was the round piece held on by several screws which was easily removed... however that turned out to be the float/fuel gauge sending unit.. LOL
Also when I searched for the l/u seal kit results said not available and obsolete ? Last summer I removed the l/u to replace the water pump impeller, I just used blue silicone on the areas where parts mated. However ,I was worried that I had the spacer (its a long shaft)installed upside down ! It took me many attempts to get the shifter cam lined up right, so it was removed and reinstalled a bunch before all was in order...I doubt there was much of that silicone left at that point. I said F it... and it seemed to run fine the rest of the summer. I did drain and refill the l/u oil almost everytime out. I noticed water in that l/u oil so I figured something wernt right..
:laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online