Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Still having troubles with water pump

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 11 months ago #101377

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Just my 2 cents, but if thats the bucket you have been using, its not deep enough. You need the L/U submerged so the whole pump is in water or nothing much gonna happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 11 months ago #101408

"I've tried pumping water through the engine using a hose attached to the delivery tube while having the spat plugs removed in order to see if any water was coming from there."

I think Robby321, Dave B, and vintagerunner all have posted good questions that need follow-up.

As I believe Dave B was asking,...Remove the fitting on the top of the block and let us know if water comes out there when you have the hose on the water delivery tube.

Based on the water pressure seen when using the drill motor and when you blocked water flow with your thumb - even with a shallow water level in your tub, I believe the water pump is supplying enough flow to cool the engine.
I question whether or not the water is passing through the engine for another reason.
Doc

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 11 months ago #101417

Tim, vintage runner has a point, cavitating pumps dont like to pump water. I could not help but chuckle at your obvious disgust when you dropped the drill and the lower unit. We have all been there.
By everything you have tried it should be working. If you feel like taking a 3 hour drive to Booths Harbour I will help you sort it out. It would be worth putting a length of copper pipe in that outlet and submerging the unit in a deeper can.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 11 months ago #101450

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Daveswaves wrote:

Tim, vintage runner has a point, cavitating pumps dont like to pump water. I could not help but chuckle at your obvious disgust when you dropped the drill and the lower unit. We have all been there.
By everything you have tried it should be working. If you feel like taking a 3 hour drive to Booths Harbour I will help you sort it out. It would be worth putting a length of copper pipe in that outlet and submerging the unit in a deeper can.

Had to laugh too in bold..yep..! But I still think ya need tall garbage can full water to dunk the L/U for proper flow, the pump. Impellers don't suck water, just rotate pushing air. But primed in water, and then spun to the motor water. Try a damn deeper bucket, or stick in the water boat launch. Start there first and see. YOU HAVE TOO have the pump submerged to work. NOT just the water intake holes. One my motors here (88 Force 125) has the water intake sides the bullet. BUT? 11 inches up is the from there is the pump. So with the skeg, the intake, and pump in water? Ya need at least 2 feet in water..(or a muffs on).

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 11 months ago #101589

just curious to see if you got around to putting a tube in it and dropping the lower unit deeper into the water and trying it,, if it pumped water ?????

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 10 months ago #102502

• Merccooper
  • Merccooper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yes, there were words muttered under my breath when the drill dropped. For sanity sake, I had to take sometime away from working on it.

And so, I had some time the other weekend and .......... ........well................I was too embarrassed to post a follow up at that time. It did turn out that....................there wasn't enough water in the bucket. :X :evil: :S :ohmy:

So embarrassed.

The water was, I thought, well above the pump level but obviously not!

Thanks Robby, I thing you might have been the first to mention this.

Thanks Dave for the offer to come down for your help.

Thanks Doc, Vintage and everyone else for your help.

It's time for me to finish some work on the garage floor and bring the boat/engine in for the winter and continue work. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I have one in mind already!

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 10 months ago #102507

Glad you got it sorted out. Time for indoor work now, its freezing out there today. Can see the ice forming on the bay with this stiff west wind.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 10 months ago #102527

glad to hear that worked out for you..

Re:Still having troubles with water pump 9 years 10 months ago #102529

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Glad it works! And we all have done similar by "over thinking it" and forget the little things!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online