Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone know the maker of this ??

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88052

www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Allanjervisb61016.jpg

Correct?

If it has a round hole for a burgee pole, you may do better buying a piece of mahogany & getting the pole made to fit your light, rather then finding the correct vintage burgee pole that fits the hole.

If it has a different style opening for the pole, it may have been for a made to match metal burgee pole. They can be hard to come by as a set, and decent ones aren't often reasonably priced.

I've probably only seen a hand full of metal poles sold seperate from the light. The pole likely only fits 1 or 2 models of light.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88053

There were a lot of manufacturers of marine hardware. This looks to be of 50's-60's vintage. Did it have any markings on the bottm side? Typically these were made by companies like Attwood, Kainer, Perko etc. What type of opening for the bow staff does it have? Some had a metal flag staff that rotated 45 degrees and locked into place. Others just had an elongated hole for a wood staff to wedged into it. The old school wood boat companies such as Century, Chris Craft etc used chrome plated brass. Later years and into the advent of fiberglass, they used pot metal that was chrome plated. They did not seem to hold up as well. Yours looks to be pot metal based, but I could be mistaken... Cool design!

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88056

• Jim L
  • Jim L's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I think jbcurt00 is right on. I took a gamble today and won a pennant staff on ebay.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88057

Looks the same as the one on my 59 Glastron, not sure of the manufacturer though

Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88059

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I figured if it didn't fit, I'd clean it up and run it through ebay again. Thanks guys for you posts.My screws are broken off so I've got some fixing to do.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88060

I'd say that's it!
Cheers
Bill

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88061

I'm pretty sure they're thumb screws, I can get a pic tomorrow if you like

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88063

Jim L wrote:

I think jbcurt00 is right on. I took a gamble today and won a pennant staff on ebay.

that's the 1st one I've seen listed @ebay solo in a long time. Of course it's in collectibles instead of boat parts. Perhaps I don't surf enough places on evil-bay. Won't my Admiral be happy to see an expanded search history.

Congrats, $20 doesn't sound to bad, it looks pretty good.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88064

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
barnickelbill wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're thumb screws, I can get a pic tomorrow if you like

That would be great, Bill.Thanks

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88065

Mine are, I have that light too. But a much more generic pole:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88066

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
jbcurt00 wrote:

Jim L wrote:

that's the 1st one I've seen listed @ebay solo in a long time. Of course it's in collectibles instead of boat parts. Perhaps I don't surf enough places on evil-bay. Won't my Admiral be happy to see an expanded search history.

Congrats, $20 doesn't sound to bad, it looks pretty good.

That's what I thought also. It looked familiar to me for this light,but I wasn't sure.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88068

Sorry I'm so late to this. The pole you got is correct and it's an Attwood light and pole. I have the same one on my Wagemaker. Yes it should have thumbscrews to hold it to the top of the light.

Bob

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88129

That is actually a Sparton bow light. I have the same thing for my 59 Glastron. Those were very typical on the early Gs. I found a flag for it on eBay. Kind of took a chance as you did and it worked out. They also had a horn that mounted in a housing that the bow light screws into. I hav ethe housing, but there is a small piece broken off. Hopefully I can have it repaired and re-chromed. I'd post pics, but they are all in the tundra that is my garage.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88132

Jim:

Tudor is right on the make of the bow light as we have the exact same light on our 1960 G-3 that you saw this summer at Falls Lake,
N.C. I think I have another original flag staff if the one you bought won't clean up.

The other members are right that the staff is mounted with "thumb screws." I will try to get a picture for you if you need it!

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88146

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks fellas, but I'm still leaning towards jbcurt00 theory. take a look at thishttp://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Allanjervisb61016.jpg Thanks for the offer John. I might take you up on it later.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88148

Yep mine has the continental pole vice the more rounded one. I think these were made under several names by the same manufacturer. Almost positive mine is an Attwood. I'd have to take it off the boat again to make sure but as long as your happy with it your golden. ;)

Bob

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88150

Got the same one made by Attwood. Be careful not to break the thumb screws. They are a bitch to get out afterwords. Don't ask me how I know. Skip.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88155

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Attwood must have made them for sparton and allen jarvis. or visa versa. Skip,I'll probably end up using Stainless phillips head screws for now.I had to drill out two old broken screws already.Just drilled with a small bit from the inside. Backed one out the top. The other was just pieces that cleaned out. Thanks

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88160

Sparton is primarily a car and boat horn manufacturer. I appears that at one point they made a line of boat parts, probably to compliment their horns. They could have easily had Attwood or someone similar manufacture the lights for them.

The photo is the light and staff on the horn housing (yes, you got me into the garage to dig this out.) Note the horizontal lines on the light casting compliment the same on the horn housing. The holes in the pennant staff on this appear to be designed to handle a flat or pan head screw. I don't have the thumb screws so I cannot say if they work, but a couple of #6 pan heads would work fine.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88169

I found the shot of mine.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88171

this is mine...wilcox- crittenden
Attachments:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88172

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
TheTudor,
Thanks for sharing! I have the light and the pole which need rechroming, but I need the base horn now. I have never seen this before. Love it. Got to have it (Only if I can find it at a reasonable price). Someone email me if you have one or the whole set for sale!

:)

Regards,
StevieB

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 9 months ago #88176

Stevie, They are out there but are not cheap. I think I bought mine from someone on this site. I have what you see and a generic horn, but would love to see an underneath photo of one so I can put it together correctly. My mast has a couple of small nicks but is OK and I have a NOS light (not the one shown). The horn base will need to be re-chromed. That however is down the line because there is a lot of work left on the Glastron before I get to deck hardware.

Ron, I have an NOS one of those that I bought when I was going to do the Manta Ray about 6 years ago. I have a bunch of good CC parts and may have to find a boat to put them on. But it will have to be a unique one (i.e Delta Ray Express Cruiser)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88199

That's a Jervis - 100% sure of it. You can always pull the light off and you can look for the "JC" (Jervis Company) cast into the part.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88201

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Got the staff today. Looks good enough and the chrome is in a little better condition than the light.I used stainless screws with polished stainless washers because the rear hole has been ground on for some reason,but not bad. Thought if maybe someday I fix up the old 61 aristo craft in the woods, I'd have a pennant staff for it. If not,I'll sell it.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88206

Cool your set now Jim.

Bob

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88218

Nece, and I love your pics. So nice and clear.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88221

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Robert, I get lucky sometimes as I'm not much of a photographer LOL This is what I have to use. Works pretty fair I guess.Forgive me for posting pics too much.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88222

Sorry, forgot I was going to post these pics for ya! I believe these are originals.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88223

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Bill. Bet those screws would be hard to find.jim

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88317

Jim L wrote:

Thanks Bill. Bet those screws would be hard to find.jim

Perhaps, but the small plastic trays of screws & etc at the big box home improvement stores & Tractor Supply near me all carry a BUNCH of SS screws, allen head particularly, that might pass as extremely similar as to not be noticeable to 95%+ of the viewing public.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88319

whats the tread on those i may have a warehouse that can stock those. i bought four for the dash plate on my console. stainless 1/4 20 were like 4.00 each but well worth it. if you like chrome ones a harley shop would have them or some ace hardware stores have chrome bins. give me the tread and i will search for them in chrome and stainless.

billy

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88381

The thread is #8-32, 1/2" long. Allen head bolts would probably work, but I'd suggest a tiny drop of blue locktite, as there will almost no contact area. (that's the purpose of the taper, to provide more contact surface, so hand tight will hold)
Cheers
Bill

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88382

Well Todd,
Time for me to start digging. I have the same set-up you have, with the horn base. When I find it, I'll take some pictures for you and post them. Stay tuned..... it may take a few days ?

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88390

Chuck,

Thanks. Take your time. There is no rush on this.

Todd

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88396

Here you go...
Attachments:

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88404

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Chuck,

Ok, ..... how much? Please send me a private message.

StevieB

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88420

Hi Stevie,
I asked my boat very politely if I could give up her bow light and horn base to you ? She said NO. If she ever changes her mind ? I'll let you know ?

The story behind that setup was:
I bought an old 1957 Shepherd outboard boat, and started searching for hardware. I went to the ACBS directory to find anyone who had the same boat. I contacted a person from the directory, they sent me photos of their boat, and that bow light and horn base was the setup sitting on it.
I remember getting the pictures in the mail in late August. Well, in early September is the Buffalo ACBS show in Grand Island. I showed one of my member friends the pictures, and said: " where the hell am I ever going to find a set-up like that ?
He points and says, there's a guy selling one in the nautical flea market right over there. I about fell over, because I never get that lucky ?

Hope I don't make you feel bad, but I paid 45 dollars for it. But that about 16 years ago ? And no..... it's not time to part with it !!!!

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88423

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I had to ask.
I have the Bow Light and Pole, but they both need to be re-chromed to be acceptable. I also have a round sparton type horn coming out of a base that looks like the Bow Light. I really liked the set-up for a one in all clean package. Anyway, I will continue the search. I have not even started the boat that it will be going on, since I still have a 1958 Feather Craft Hawk II and a 1958 Cadillac Daytona that need to be completed prior to starting my other 1958 Cadillac.

Re:Anyone know the maker of this ?? 10 years 8 months ago #88477

Chuck, Thanks for the photos. Now I what type of horn I need and the bracket I will need to make.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT