Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: classics, customs, and restomods, which for you?

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80120

Good thread Chris!

On our one-family owned 1960 Glasspar G-3 and also our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan we are in CATEGORY 3 (Restored, Updated and Re-Powered.) I did this for these reasons:

#1.) We wanted a new motor because we live in eastern N.C. right near the Atlantic ICW and that body of water has salt in it. The experts here told me the older motors (1960's) did not have the anti-corrosion qualities of the newer engines. Also, there is noone in our area that can work on the older outboards and parts are extremely hard to find here.

#2.) We "updated" both boats with newer factory gauges and instrumentation along with newer "Teleflex" Hydraulic Steering Systems. This was especially noticeable on the G-3.

I am not really "brand loyal" but picked Mercury Outboard Engines because "Bass Pro Shops" near us were running SUPER DEALS on their NOS (new old stock) carbureted Mercury Outboards which are now all sold. FWIW,....our 1960 Glasspar G-3 had a 1960 Johnson 40, a 1960 Johnson 75 and finally a 1964 Mercury 65.

On the issue of classic boating I like to boat with ALL makes, models and outboards, new, old or whatever. We will be doing just that at our classic boating event at Falls Lake on July 20th.
I think the clubs that adhere to the rules like, Glasspar Boats Only or ANY brand only takes away from the idea of what classic boating should be,....all of us having an interest in it, sharing ideas and socializing.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80124

we did the 64 custom craft sunray,as a restore/custom.
we did as much as we could as restore and the rest custom.like the paint job and some interior mods,the motor is period correct,but painted to macth the boat,we took it to 3 shows and got awards at all 3 shows including "best outboard boat and motor" we were up against a beautiful woodie that won best of show we came in 2nd.here are before and after. notice the headlights/docking lights.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80125

When I was growing up in NJ along the seaside shore, one dealer a couple of towns up the coast handled Custom Craft Boats out of NY. Boats like yours gets my heart pumping! Thanks to the photos!

OK, 1) my childhood nickname was Buddy as there where three Chris Brown's within a 150 feet on one corner of a small town that had less than a 1,000 in each census before 1970.
2) I grew up ear the sea (Atlantic Ocean)
3) years ago, one had a "handle" on Boating Boards.
4) my wife gave me "#seabuddy" and it stuck.
5) now #seabuddy is like a trademark similar to "Frank" for Frank Sinatra...but he could sing.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80128

I look forward to meeting everybody at the 7/20 Get Em Wet.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80130

heres another category 2 customcraft. this is the mantaray. paint and upholstery was modified,and a center console (made by my bud john gibson)
was added. i like boating with all classics. before and after pics...10 time acbs first place show winner, 9 time "best of class". : : : : : :

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80146

That looks like the multi-point hull design that made them famous in NJ.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80149

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Those cats are unbelieveable!! I must have one!!

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80156

well, read the factories' catalog from the 1960's. They did it right. That running bottom had so many surfaces that changed with boat speed that it flew... an that was just in my hands at the New York Boat Show!

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80158

John and Ron,....those are some beautiful classic boats you guys have!

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80161

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80162

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I'm a resto-mod/custom guy...a #4 and a #5 I guess. Here's the one we just restored. The blue is 1976 Jeep CJ5. The padded dash and seats were shot to we did a little custom work there and also with the fold-away picnic tables. How about those period aluminum coolers? we also added two chrome vents to the ends of the "bullets" on the transom. They looked naked. The bullets served no purpose. Now they look like they do...conversation pieces. Since ALL boats need some wood, if only to keep a 50,000 year-old tradition alive, we added mahogany in a way that we thought was functional and complimentary without (hopefully) looking tacky or over-bearing.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80163

Top job. Thanks for sharing. I love the picnic tables and coolers!

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80171

I like some wood, too!

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80172

seabuddy,

I tend to 2 kinds:
1. using boats
and
2. restored to as factory.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80177

Thanks.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80183

I'm broke, I just do things the best I can.
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80186

Good, fun, answer. Thanks.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80192

I am keeping my all original CC Aqua Ray as it is, which is definitely a #1 (see ACBS Esex thread).

The 59 Glastron I am working on will probabaly be a #2 or #3. Not sure about powering yet, but I plan to keep it al close to original as I can. There will definitely be some updating on the construction as there were some things done rather poorly (such as the 3/4" gap between the bottom of the transom plywood and the boat) that will be done. Visually I will try to keep it looking close.

If a project is well done, it really doesn't matter what # it is (unless there is some historic interest, then close to #1 is appropriate) The peron that turned the 60 Glastron into a jet boat did a remarkable job

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80213

Well Seabuddy, This the first restore I have done. Not that much to do as she was well cared for. So I am making it up as I go.
I do tend to factory correct.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80214

Watch a restored Chris Craft sink at launching a couple of years ago. The owner had put about 30 thou into a complete rebuild. Wanted it all original, including a drain in the bottom of the hull. Drain failed. So much for being totally original. If you want to use it I believe you should make it safe. Original is nice but I prefer to be on top of the water, not under it. Skip.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80215

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a favorite brand, Larson from Little Falls MN, but there are many other brands I like as well.

I generally like to keep a boat looking stock from the factory, but as in the case of my Evinrude Playmate, I made an intake muffler to quiet down the engine noise. I try not to change anything that can not be changed back to original. I have no problem making mechanical and electrical upgrades.

Here is an example of a mod I especially dislike. A previous owner added a 1980's horn to the deck my Playmate. It has to go. Which means I'll have to fill holes. However, my version of the horn will be to place the horn near the windshield in the center recess of the deck and make a matching aluminum grill as though it had been designed there in the first place. Based on other hardware, I try to figure out what the original designer Brooks Stevens would have done. I also plan to remove the drain plug and glass over it. With our new invasive species laws requiring the removal of drain plugs, 1) I know I'll forget and get fined, or sink. 2) it is a pain in the butt to reach down behind the motor to get this plug out.

You have to make the boat fun for you to use. Unused boats are in fields or museums and there are not that many museums.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80216

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nautilus,

Are those chrome "vents" off of a 1960's Jeep Gladiator grill?
Nice update to a classic boat!

Todd

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80232

Well Chris, I'd have to say number 1 &2 I guess. The boat in my avatar has been in the family since grandpa bought it. I did upgrade the tanks since the plastic ones are a little better than the original metal tanks. I will also be upgrading the wiring at some point. I am also going to modify it a little be closing in under the bow so things don't bounce out when going through waves. Dad did it but with paint white plywood and I want to make it out of Mahogany like the topside.

This is the view after I restored it and removed the plywood.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80235

I prefer number 2, but this old Merc 500 is making me think about going to number 3. I love the look of the old Merc, but I would really like to cruise around the lakes slow, quiet, clean, and efficient. The Merc doesn't do any of those things very well. Repowering with a modern 4-stroke has some disadvantages in terms of cost and weight, but the worst part is they just don't look right.

I have thought about putting one of those classic cowls over a modern outboard. Guess that's as close as we can come to having it all - but far from ideal.

Just my two cents,
Bill
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80240

a classic cowl over a more modern engine is something I just saw this spring. I like the idea, perhaps better than having two engines per boat. One for a show and one to run.

a

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80248

I would have to say I'm a 2 kind of guy on some boats and a 4 or 5 kind of guy on others.
I have a 1939 CC deluxe 17ft runabout. That will be a restore update for safety , gravity feed gas tank will be gone. oil filter added to the 95HP Hercules engine, bilge blower and pump added.
and inner skin will be plywood, with fake seams to look like diagonal planking.

As for my pet, first restore project ? That will be a 4 or 5, only because it is in such sad shape, and deserving to be crushed and in a landfill. I figure if I'm going to put the time and money into it ?
I'm going to make it to my liking without regard to purest originality.

I am also a multi-brand boat lover.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80256

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I do really like old motors. That is where I would draw a line for myself. I'm a huge fan of the light weight 2 stroke cycle motors. I've even considered putting a OMC V4 in a car. I still use my 1972 Lawnboy mower and of course the 1940s Speedifour on the 1941 Falls Flyer. I think if you ever plan to show a boat, it has to have a motor of the proper period to the hull.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80258

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I guess I would be a 1 voter, I was born and raised doing cars,motorcycles and now Boats to the original,, I will vary a little on motors age at times if it is a user,I have did a retro G-3 but it is gone, this is an original 1959 glasslipper Bill
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80260

Any more photos of that classic fiberglass boat?

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80265

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Go to my website Bills cars.com under boat section, the trailer is a air bag system through the axle and has hydraulics like a Michigan low rider to raise and lower trailer I put it under this boat,, since there are some repops recreations of the slipper this is not high on my list todo it is 1 of 2 originals to my knowledge of the 59s, Thanks Bill
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80284

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just saw this boat Sunday and the resto is done tastefully.The setup will win many awards or just put a smile on the face of the owner whenever they take it out for a cruise.No where near stock but a head turner for sure.Nautilus wrote:

I'm a resto-mod/custom guy...a #4 and a #5 I guess. Here's the one we just restored. The blue is 1976 Jeep CJ5. The padded dash and seats were shot to we did a little custom work there and also with the fold-away picnic tables. How about those period aluminum coolers? we also added two chrome vents to the ends of the "bullets" on the transom. They looked naked. The bullets served no purpose. Now they look like they do...conversation pieces. Since ALL boats need some wood, if only to keep a 50,000 year-old tradition alive, we added mahogany in a way that we thought was functional and complimentary without (hopefully) looking tacky or over-bearing.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80292

Yup, worth a second post.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80338

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm a resto mod fan. I think it should be "drivable". Unless its all original, untouched then you've got to leave it stock.

I'm happily running my old Scott in salt this summer. I'll let you know this winter whether I regret the decision. But I do have a donor motor with a nice cowl and I am curious about what kind of motor I could put it on... one for show... one for go.

And Nautilus that is a sweet boat!
Attachments:

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80339

shacomm, any details about your boat, motor, and possible "donor" motor?

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80345

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
15' 1960 Dorsett Belmont with the original Flying Scott 60. I'm planning on restoring the Scott next winter and I'm sure I'll have a harder time putting it in the salt next summer once its all shiny.

I've just started looking around at the possibility of using a modern 4-stroke "salt" motor. I'd love suggestions for possible motors that I could modify with my 59 Scott 60Hp cowl.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80347

Does your 15' 1960 Dorsett Belmont take a short shaft?

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80503

I have not come across one of the boats I’m looking for to do a #1 yet. It may have a little #2 hidden, safety stuff.

#3 is our `68 Boston Whaler Katana 16 it’s a daily driver, fishing and docked in brackish water. We got it about a month ago. The original interior was removed and modernized also new paint inside and out when we got it. In time I can see it going back to a traditional Whaler interior and colors. For now it works fine. It had an `87 Johnson 70hp when we got it, a little under powered. I like the Merc inline six’s last week I picked up a pair if mid 80’s Merc 115hp’s. The `86 has less than 200 freshwater hours and will go on the Whaler. The decals are faded so it should be easy to dress it up like a `68. Power trim & tilt is a must for me. I’ll flush after every use just like I’ld have to on any age motor, and really should do even after fresh water use. The gas motor is not needed much, maybe every other month. A modern electric motor used most the time fishing the tight canals. I’ll flush the gas motor once a week even if not used. Things around salt water tend to stop working if you stop using them.

#4 is our Custom Craft Manta Ray; it will have a `63 T-Bird interior to match its exterior styling. The original all white gel coat is shot and will get a 2-tone paint job. The `84 Merc 115 hp has only been used twice, I think will go on our Manta Ray. It should be easy to dress it up like an early 60’s Merc., with not only power trim & tilt but choke at the key. The hull & deck will maintain the original lines so I would call it a resto-mod.

#5 as a collector I like variety and a custom would be nice. For me a “custom” has the original lines and profile changed, or is a builders own design. What would be done to a car to make it a custom is harder to do with a boat. Things like chop, channel, rake, section, shorten, stretch, narrow and widen. I’ve looked into having a mold made should I find a #1, like a South Seas Samoan could look cool with a day-cruiser top deck.

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80505

Is that the Cat that some say looks like a 59 or so Pontiac?

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80529

seabuddy wrote:

Is that the Cat that some say looks like a 59 or so Pontiac?

The bow does look like a `59 Pontiac front while the fins look more like a `59 Buick. When we moved to FL 10 years ago thought my chances would be better to find one, no luck so far. Some very cool cats were built in south FL. The Samoan was built just up the coast from us in Lake Helen FL.
Attachments:

Re:classics, customs, and restomods, which for you? 11 years 2 months ago #80565

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
>Does your 15' 1960 Dorsett Belmont take a short shaft?
Long

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online