Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MerControl installed.......

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41440

Ta da da! Looks great Ron, good for you man. Enjoy!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41467

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Super, nice job.
Attachments:

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41473

Great Ron, that will look good with the stuff John put on the console.

Bob

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41554

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks good Ron.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41556

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
thanks guys... i guess for someone who has never even done minor fabrication, i surprised myself. again thanks to JG for the gift and to Frank A. for the encouragement.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41557

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking good! Will be doing something similar this off season.Just wondering if you have knuckle clearance by dashboard? Hard to tell from the angle of picture.Mine is now mounted on the inside of the gunnel on the glass,just above where your plywood ends.What I like is it acts as a arm rest and give me better control of the throttle when airing it out.What I do not like is the fact that it's visible from most angles and cuts up the lines.Not sure how far I can drop it and yet keep the attributes I mentioned.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41559

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, my whole fist clears the dash and i mounted it below the gunnel so it doesn't stick out. its so comfortable now as i can rest my arm on the gunnel and have full control. ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41570

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Excellent!!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41608

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good job Ron. Are you going to seal (resin, paint, ?) it before you cover it? Plywood doesn't live very long in the marine environment unsealed. Just a thought...... ;)

Mark

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41611

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ron
Just a suggestion. What if a guy was to get a piece of white 1/2 inch UHMW and cut it the same. Use a 1/8 round over bit on the edges.
Totally weatherproof and the white would match the interior.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41621

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
mark, didn't even think about sealing/painting it, but now i will.
neil, i bought a piece of white star board at west marine,(12"x27"x1/2"...$38.00. when i got home i realized i had 5/8ths exterior plyscore leftover from the garage build. so i used that. the horizontal piece is doubled as just 5/8ths wasn't thick enough for the idle lever to clear the gunnel. you can see the metal spacers i used below the ignition switch (a real rube goldberg idea) as i didn't want to triple the plywood. also the back had to be extended more than the front as the gunnel is curved and not plum to the original mount. so i had 2 dimensions to deal with. i would of really liked to make it so it looked proffesional but didn't know how. i'll probably end up having it re-made by someone who knows what there doin but for now its solid and its comfortable. ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41623

Solid and comfortable is good! Looks nice Ron.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41624

Good idea. Hey you gotta be comfortable.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41637

sorry ron,i hadnt seen this thread untill now,i will send you the vinyl i used for the console,but its very thin,the plywood will have to be filled and sanded compleatly smooth and either painted or glassed,other wise it wont stick and you will see the grain of the plywood through it,beleive me i have several coats of resin on your console ,and sanded between them all.
if you want make a drawing with the dimentions of the plwood and ill make one for you,and i will round off the corners to make it not so sharp.
im proud of ya,you did a good job hooking it up,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41733

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, the first pic is 5/8ths plyscore. then i had to build it out more so the idle control lever cleared the gunnel. i added another piece of 5/8ths to the horizontal and still didn't have the clearance, so i added another piece of 1/4" which gave me a total of 1 1/2" on the horizontal. i then mounted the mercontrol and the idle lever was still hitting the gunnel at the rear. i took 3 metal spacers that gave me another 1/4" and forced them in at the rear of the mercontrol and ran the mounting bolt thru them. now i have the clearance by a hair. i don't know how to give you dimensions because nothing is the same. all i can figure is that the vertical is 4"x17", the horizontal is 4"x11 and the thickness varies from 1 1/2" at the front to 1 3/4" at the rear (by the ignition switch.) what i can do is when the season is over i'll take it off and send to you. ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #41746

ok ron,i will cover it for you then,when your ready,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42018

• Ron G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a great first post but I am rewiring a box just like that from my '69 650 and I need the ignition switch and a choke switch if anyone knows where I could find a used one.Thanks,Ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42019

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron, contact tim calmes up at silver lake/ perry, n.y.
his web adress is toystorage@frontier.com...ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42020

vuyosevich wrote:

ron, contact tim calmes up at silver lake/ perry, n.y. his web address is toystorage@frontier.com...ron

This is actually his email address.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42021

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
correct... gotem mixed up.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42088

• Ron G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I will do that today and thank you very much.Ron G

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42129

• tim_c
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Ron
Tim

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42147

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tim, mercontrol doesn't work. only sound it makes is when i depress the black choke button on the remote. plug is in goodntite. hooked the old one back up and the motor turns over but the battery died before i got it started. guess i should of tested it before i went thru all that trouble building the mount. oh well.....my bad. back in storage it goes to who knows when.
Attachments:

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42198

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i forgot to mention that the positive battery terminal sparked and got very hot with the mercontrol but didn't when i switched back to the original remote. the posts and remote cable ends are clean. going to have the battery tested today to rule out that.ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42215

Ron,
Without seeing the wiring, it sounds like the original control you have is wired different than the Merc control, in that I mean there may be a difference in the "hot wire" and ground connection. Sounds like when you connected the hot wire and it sparked it was going straight to ground, hence the spark and hot wire. That could also be why the battery was dead when you switched back to the other control, no juice left from shorting to ground. I'm guessing here since I'm not there to look at the wiring.

Bob

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42252

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well rectified one problem. the battery was only putting out 46 amps. should be 685. four of the 6 cells were bone dry. i thot it was a sealed battery and when i saw the guy pop the caps i knew right away they were going to be low...not dry. maybe because i had it charging for 3 days and it dried up. so the battery is toast and i got a new one. going to hook up the original remote and see if it starts, and if it does i'll know something is wrong with the mercontrol remote. someone suggested that i strip the rubber insulation off the whole harness up to where it enters the remote and check for corrosion. if i do that how do i re-insulate it, with electrical tape?

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42255

as Bob posted about the cables being crossed...yes its possible the harness's are not compatible if there any splice's in the battery cables, but that may not be your problem :unsure:

if i do that how do i re-insulate it, with electrical tape?

start with the tape and finish with heat shrink tubing
... can be bought in different dia & lengths

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42293

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok we're narrowing it down. just hooked up the old remote to the new battery. now the butterflies close completely and motor fired right up. going to try the mercontrol now. i hope this isn't somethin stupid on my part.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42294

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
hooked up the mercontrol and WHOOP WHOOP...fired right up . didn't have to lube the switch or clean the plug contacts, but i did it after it started. i know the mistake i made. i didn't have the mercontrol in neutral only the outboard as the cables aren't hooked up yet. i thot neutral was straight up like my original control,it isn't. had to push it a 1/2" more forward. i found out by dumb luck as i was jiggling the remote handle as i turned the key. it scared the shXt out of me. the terminals are also cool to the touch and no sparkin. just have to have the cables hooked up now and adjusted. so the main problem was twofold...dead battery and mercontrol not in neutral. still strange why my original remote turned it over with the dead battery. can someone explain to me why my battery charger read fully charged?

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42300

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Your charger may have read fully charged because the battery was shorted out and there was no resistance as far as the amperage output goes.Just a guess. As far as your old controls maybe there was just enough juice left so when you hit the key it turned over,it's not like you are trying to start a V8 350.Probably would of turned over with the "new" controls as well. Nice that you did not throw in the towel and let it beat you!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42301

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Those sparks and hot wires can scare the bejeeezus out of anyone. Ya have to ask yourself did I short out anything in the motor, how much is that going to cost me? Blow out a coil or starter motor. Glad to hear the problem is in the past.
Attachments:

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42351

boy ron im glad you figured it out,i was worried i gave ya a bad control,and after i went and painted it,lol.
when you send the plywood,before you take it off,mark a line where the gunnel comes to it,i will cut it and make it so its shimed behind the plywood,then you wont need the other shimes you put in.it will be flush with the gunnel or out just a little bit.
also meahure the width of the gunnel so i know how far out to put the plywood.

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42352

boy ron im glad you figured it out,i was worried i gave ya a bad control,and after i went and painted it,lol.
when you send the plywood,before you take it off,mark a line where the gunnel comes to it,i will cut it and make it so its shimed behind the plywood,then you wont need the other shims you put in.it will be flush with the gunnel or out just a little bit.
also measure the width of the gunnel so i know how far out to put the plywood.sorry about the double post,but here is a drawing ron.

ok,my scan wont post,darn it.ill keep trying,john

File Attachment:

File Name: scan0002-20110826.pdf
File Size:344 KB
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42358

he,he,i see i spelled thickness and block,wrong,lol.
can someone post the pic (scan please)thanks john

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42361

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
gotcha john...i had said i hope it wasn't somethin stupid on my part...and it was. i am told the lever can be adjusted so that neutral is top dead center. nj john ( the guy who loaded up my dump with all old merc parts that i gave to tim 5 years ago)from lake hopatcong is going to hook up the cables and adjust them for me. i'm haulin the boat up there next week. man with that new battery all i do is turn the key for a split second and she purrs like a kitten. ron

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42363

yeah ron after you have it hooked up ,and in nuetral,just take the handle bolt out from the back and put the handle straight up.
as for doing stupid things i can count on one hand how many times i have done something stupid,NOT!,lol,i do something stupid everyday buddy.john

---Mark Twain

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42411

Hey I resemble that remark! :woohoo:

Bob

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42415

john_gibson wrote:

he,he,i see i spelled thickness and block,wrong,lol. can someone post the pic (scan please)thanks john

John, that won't post cause it's a pdf file, but if somebody clicks on the hypertext, it opens the pdf up. Needs to be a jpg file for it to post as a pic.

Frank

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42428

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yes i saw it by clickin on it.

Re:MerControl installed....... 13 years 1 month ago #42439

I have the same controls and I am going to try and paint it and hope it comes out as good as yours did. Was the sticker in that good of shape or did you replace it and if you did where did you get it?

Jon

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5093 guests and no members online