Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34150

jim bart wrote:

Wow, sorry I'm so late to participate here.
For what its worth, I enjoy the humor, its not meant to degrade anyone, its posted for our enjoyment.
I too, take shortcuts, but proofread to make sure others can comprehend what I'm conveying. [Somehow, typing "prolly" instead of "probably" has crept into my own usage, and I used to despise that.]
The complete lack of punctuation, or sentence structure, in the offending CL ad is so far beyond what has become accepted, it is difficult to even take seriously.

To the moderators, THANK YOU for leaving this post here. Those who dont care to participate can move to the next thread, those who want to participate, can voice their opinions. Typos and all. If things like this get censored, our diverse group will become so narrowly focused, we'd all want the same boat with the same outboard, painted in the same color.
-jim

that last paragraff..hehe...ditto.....ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34162

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Well, I have to chime in here. Yes, its funny, but think a bit here. I have decades month long cross country trips on my Harleys. Tell ya right now, some the BEST people meet when broke down side the road, were not the suit/tie, perfect spellers. Those old farm boys, the locals that always help anyone, showed up and helped fast, and took me in over night, if waiting a part. Meet many in the Basic Training, before Nam, that the farthest they ever been was the mile walk to the rural mailbox. Not a bad bone in there body. Honest, even taught some who were trying to read, ask me a question, .."whats does this word mean?" I broke the trailer axle spring shackles, (bridge construction) towing my race bike, and my old Shovelhead, in my van moving to the west coast out Illinois. In Idaho, back roads..(interstates suck)..axle was at a side angle now, no way any further the road, and some kid, toothless, old junk truck fulla stuff, well, we did a "Come-a Long", and he got me into town, and we got it fixed the locals, next day. Bet he had hard time spelling his own name. But the country people, don't care that. Simple take care each other, or any needing help. Some us have had a WAY better life, education, but that don't make any superior to others, who live a different life, and the stuff they CAN do, would have you on yer knees in pain. Them, just another days work. Actually, this county needs off the damn keyboard, and get the hell back to work. That said, we all have good traits, and bad. But I take an honest person, over a scammer, any day. And never do a first impression any, as later, might turn into your best friend. Happened to me many times.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34188

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok one more time since I started this debate. When I posted the CL ad with the poor spelling and grammar, I was not in any way trying indicate that the person listing it was not a good guy or dishonest nor in any way anything beyond what was obvious.. a poor speller.

It was meant to enjoy the differences in all of the people out there and not implicate them in any other way. I too have known and met a great many people without the privileges most of us have enjoyed who were the kindest and smartest people in so many ways beyond "readin and writen".

Bottom line is... a posted ad like that is just plain funny and that is all there is to it. And yes I felt sorry for him, but with the possibility in my mind being so very slim that they would not see it on this forum and be hurt, I took the opportunity to share. That of course was until someone felt the need to really hurt the person by emailing them the link to this thread.....Really Dude?

Remind me again why we are still talking about this?

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34204

We're talking about this because of a sense of humor. Some have it, some don't. I think we miss out when we don't. I've known plenty of people that have a hard time spelling and/or writing, and so what? What is important to me are things like a person's heart, attitude, motivation, behavior, NOT how he or she spells. The ad that was posted was hilarious. Sometimes we over-examine stuff that sure doesn't need to be examined at all!

Enjoy!

Frank

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34209

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I am right there with you Frank.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34210

I once thought I was wrong once but after review I decided I was right after-all. Guess what I knew a man who looked like Elmer Fudd. People made fun of him but he had a heart of GOLD. RIP John. He laughed right along with them. That was in a place i worked making shitters a long long time ago at Eljer Plumbingware. We also had a guy who looked like Mr. Clean. He is now my youngest sons neighbor. Still looks like Mr. Clean but older. But as far as looks go I'm one ugly mugg. Go ahead and laugh.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34214

PC1000 wrote:

We're talking about this because of a sense of humor. Some have it, some don't. I think we miss out when we don't. I've known plenty of people that have a hard time spelling and/or writing, and so what? What is important to me are things like a person's heart, attitude, motivation, behavior, NOT how he or she spells. The ad that was posted was hilarious. Sometimes we over-examine stuff that sure doesn't need to be examined at all!

Enjoy!

Frank

i agree with you frank,it is whats in a persons heart,and the things they do for others,well said,"pay it forward",john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34250

Humor is a funny thing, it usually does make fun of people or a group, and making assumptions about people or a group is never a good thing. As a matter of fact, it is against the policy of this website to do so.

I give the moderators credit for letting this play out, and healthy dialog is always a good thing. It seems that everyone here is handling this very well, which is also a good thing.

So the thing about this humor, it almost always makes fun of a group or person, but where do you draw the line?

Since this is a website and forum about old boats and people that love old boats, I think we need to be careful about who we make fun of. They could be your neighbor or the guy down the street that you want to buy a boat from and how would that make them feel?

I'm not about to start censoring people and I'm glad the moderators aren't either. We just have to be a little careful and censor ourselves a little.

And Barnfinder, I know you're a good guy, I've talked to you and you own a CC, so you've got to be a good guy. :)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34252

My family, friends and neighbours make fun of me all the time...for being so obsessed with these darn old boats. :kiss:

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34254

cc1000 wrote:

Humor is a funny thing, it usually does make fun of people or a group, and making assumptions about people or a group is never a good thing. As a matter of fact, it is against the policy of this website to do so.

I give the moderators credit for letting this play out, and healthy dialog is always a good thing. It seems that everyone here is handling this very well, which is also a good thing.

So the thing about this humor, it almost always makes fun of a group or person, but where do you draw the line?

Since this is a website and forum about old boats and people that love old boats, I think we need to be careful about who we make fun of. They could be your neighbor or the guy down the street that you want to buy a boat from and how would that make them feel?

I'm not about to start censoring people and I'm glad the moderators aren't either. We just have to be a little careful and censor ourselves a little.

And Barnfinder, I know you're a good guy, I've talked to you and you own a CC, so you've got to be a good guy. :)

It is a sense of humor thing Dave, either ya got it or ya don't. I think as long as it is not x-rated, or even just for mature audiences, it's fine to poke a little fun. We do it to each other all the time. If I can't post funny boat related stuff here, so be it. But I also think a lot of folks enjoy the light hearted nature of this fairly harmless kind of thing. But again, I really believe this is being WAY over-analyzed. Heaven forbid we make it funny...

Frank

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34257

The internet and humor need to be handled differently. Since we usually have no idea who the other person is makes it, makes it difficult to be humorous without possibly hurting someone feelings. I make fun of some of my friends in a face to face situation that we both enjoy since we also react to body language and knowing one another. Making fun of someone on the internet who you do not know even though humorous can be hurtful. Any humor that is at the expense of someones feelings is sick and no longer funny. Be careful on the internet.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34259

I too laugh at the dumb posts as anyone would, Im human,
I was too subtle about my opinion in my previous post.....
there is white washing going on here, paint it how you want but
poking fun at each other is cool, but only because we know each other! otherwise it's just pointing out others shortcomings to make ourselves feel warm and fuzzy about US...this too is human nature

but even I can see it was cruel to send the craigslist original poster an email with a link to this thread so he could experience the ridicule personally......NOW, THATS NOT FUNNY!

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34262

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
MadProps wrote:

but even I can see it was cruel to send the craigslist original poster an email with a link to this thread so he could experience the ridicule personally......NOW, THATS NOT FUNNY!

Good point, I agree!

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34267

Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34283

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I have to rank the C/L post right up there with watching someone fall down the stairs. You know its not funny, but ya gotta laugh anyway! :laugh:

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34292

Just think about the fun we would have if every thereds had the
same interest as this,I`m thinking abot our hobbie CLASSIC BOATS!!

/Leif

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34385

Anybody but me watch the Tonight Show? Ever see Leno do "Headlines"? This craiglist ad that started this thread is pretty mild, sort of a yuk, yuk kind of thing. Maybe that's why this sort of stuff is just funny to me and nothing more - I've been watching Leno do "Headlines" for years, and what is the primary butt of the things he shows? Spelling! I just watched a week ago Tuesday's show last night (I record them on DVR, watch them when I can) and he did "Headlines." He does it for a reason - to get laughs. It's my favorite weekly part of his show, always funny, and pokes very public fun at lots of folks.

I'm done.

Frank

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34391

i watch it too frank. very funny.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34399

we all agree it was funny,

apparently some dont know when enough is enough, like I said when it gets cruel emailing the guy to make it personal...you cant justify it no way..its just mean spirited!!!!!

Im done with this thread, if you dont know better... I feel sorrier for you than the poor craigslist guy, now :unsure:

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34427

I have posted some things on line and I was in a hurry. It looked and sounded like I was mental or drunk when I wrote them. Then people I knew or family would read it and razz me about it. I just kid back with them you have to have a since of humor and thick skin. By the way I think it was very funny that is just me

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34496

MadProps wrote:

-Well-

Just to let everyone know, I didn't send the email, I was hoping that saying I did you guys would change a little realizing that this is a public forum. you didn't for what ever reasons, which justifiable -or- not.

Madprops, seriously your pity is something I don't want, and I have never asked for or needed an excuse for, all the problems I do have I have never, ever asked for -pity- if nothing else I really make more fun of myself and the stupid stuff i do then anyone on this site, you on the other hand, I have allot of pity for and seeing first hand how you and everyone else looks down on people like me, I seriously feel not pity, but sorry for you.

thanks for the show, I feel like it 1967 again.

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34497

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I thought it was funny, so did alot of other people so don't apologize. people do stupid things...and when they do, other people WILL laugh at them...we all have done it.. and we have all been the person that is being laughed at...my take on this?...Houston took it personal because of his medical problems and felt he needed to chastise the original poster...my advice to Houston..don't take it personal and realize that you can't control other people's actions and you'll be a much happier person :)

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34498

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
When I first found this site the one thing I Really Really Really Loved about it was No fighting or argueing like on alot of sites so this one really surprised me .Everybody seemed like a Big family on here .Well I guess every family has thier arguements ..I do think this one has been handled pretty well .My point I guess is in life alot of people see stuff in Black and White .Either its good or bad .Reality is everything is Grey .Whats right for one might not be right for another .Does that make either person Right or wroung or better than the other ...NO ...It means that they just have a different oppion or perspective formed by thier own Lifes expieriences ..So as a Family lets all get along now .If we dont Mom is going to tell Dad we been fighting and he is Gonna be Really Pissed when he gets home ...

Re:1960 Dorse Boat --- Will Trade For Dictionary 13 years 3 months ago #34538

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Lets lighten this up a bit......
Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5993 guests and no members online