Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '66 Aristo Craft Funliner

'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108716

I am restoring my '66 Aristo Craft Funliner. Just got her back from the paint shop and I am putting her back together. Question...The rub rail is original and in decent shape (Lots of dents and some corrosion).Should I try to keep the original rub rail or go with new? I have investigated a TACO white semi-rigid rub rail with a chrome insert. Any suggestions?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108729

I think i would try and stay with the original rub rail or try and find something as close to original as possible. I'd like to hear some more about your restoration. Any pics of the progress as you went along? I have 2 Funliners, 61 and 66.

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108887

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My suggestion would be to use the original aluminum rubrail if the dents could be sanded and buffed out without changing the shape too much. If the dents are too deep,maybe a new rail of similar size would be the ticket. IMHO, these boats too small for the bigger rubrails How wide and thick is the taco rail you speak of.

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108890

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
pirate, you boat looks great, and you should be able to find rub rail that is close to original. keep looking. and nice job. frog

Thanks for the feedback... 9 years 5 months ago #108893

Thanks for the tips. I have decided to use the original rub rail for the time being while I continue researching a replacement. With new screws and bolts, it will not be too difficult to work with in the future.

Does anyone know a good source for a replacement windshield? Mine has a split and I would really like to replace it. I have seen a post on this site that shows a guy building one out of Lexan. Any thoughts?

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108894

Thanks for the tips. I have decided to use the original rub rail for the time being while I continue researching a replacement. With new screws and bolts, it will not be too difficult to work with in the future.

Does anyone know a good source for a replacement windshield? Mine has a split and I would really like to replace it. I have seen a post on this site that shows a guy building one out of Lexan. Any thoughts?

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108895

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108904

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The windshield would be tough to make. There is one for sale on C/L. NOT Cheap,and the shipping will be murder,but they're very hard to find.I ended up buying one in Napierville, Ill and having it shipped to NC. Not Cheap,but I had looked for decades. detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/bpo/4888420428.html

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108908

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
As Jim said, they are very hard to come by. I've also searched for about 5 years now and have had no luck, other than driving 6 states over to get a whole boat. My windsheild has the normal cracks in the corners on both sides, they've been drilled and filled to stop it from cracking anymore but you can still see it.

-Brian

Re:Thanks for the feedback... 9 years 5 months ago #108920

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Have you got the windshield frame? If so it's not hard to make one out of plexi or polycarbonate. No frame makes it a little tougher, I think Dave (CC1000) still has some complete windshield assy's for sale, might check with him on sizes.

Edit: Merged back into original post - Funliner is a different ballgame altogether. They guys who know have given the best advice.

Mark

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108932

I have an extra frame if need - basically a backup for mine, which I will probably try to sell again over the next month or so as it looks like i will never get to it.

Not sure how i would ship it though. It is 2 parts as I recall, the main frame, and them a piece along the bottom. I'd have to check to see if i have both...

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108952

dave (cc1000) has a bunch of nos windshields , but their for customcrafts and mfg boats. i'd imagine that they could be retrofitted to fit a similar size boat. ron

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #108961

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
NJTriton wrote:

As Jim said, they are very hard to come by. I've also searched for about 5 years now and have had no luck, other than driving 6 states over to get a whole boat. My windsheild has the normal cracks in the corners on both sides, they've been drilled and filled to stop it from cracking anymore but you can still see it.

Not to change the subject,but I have to say I'm really liking your profile pic,Brian. That blue looks great!!

Re:'66 Aristo Craft Funliner 9 years 5 months ago #109002

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Jim! New wiring
Is all done, new throttle cables, just waiting on the upholstery shop to get done with the cushions then she's going in the water

-Brian
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle