TOPIC: Flipping Ships

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109295

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Atta boy Shake!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109298

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Shake and 63 Sabre...you guys "get it."

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109306

• KevFin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
“...anyone who thinks a tv show can do anything more than make our passion expensive is delusional.”

Well, some people golf.

I'd rather wander about in vintage junkyards than golf but whenever I'm there, I see a great many cars with their windshields broken out.

There must be some satisfaction in throwing a brick through a windshield. Personally, I would rather pick out my favorite car, drag it home and restore it .

This website carries some weight and can have a real effect on our hobby. It can be used as a file board, or as a brick.

I don't think I am being “delusional” to think that a TV show can have a positive effect if we want it to but reaching out to someone new with carefully considered ideas and constructive criticisms is harder than throwing bricks.

There are already a lot of good constructive criticisms in this thread for the producer to consider but they are obscured by a lot of negativity and destructiveness. I'm concerned that the tone of this thread will insure that nothing good comes of the effort.

Atta boy!
Attachments:

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109308

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I just don't understand all the negativity about this show. No, it's not a training show, nor a documentary on restoring classic boats. THAT would probably lead to a very limited audience. I guess I'm just weird but I like any show about boats, heck I record Ship Shape TV every week so I don't miss an episode. They don't always list all the steps and tricks either, but you can pick up some excellent pointers and ideas IMHO....

Sure it's "reality tv", but it's something to watch when you can't be out on the water.

Mark

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109314

KevFin makes some good points here.

I think with some fine tuning the show could be a great. I'm looking forward to seeing what they drag in for the next show, and I bet everybody else is too if they're being honest about it.

Guys the show is already in full-blown production, so why not be positive and add some constructive input?

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109316

MarkS wrote:

I guess I'm just weird but I like any show about boats,...

Count me in as one of the "weird". :D

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109319

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I'd rather watch "McHale's Navy" re-runs.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109334

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I didn't intend to insult anyone, but observe the "FLIPPING" part. now ask anyone who's nitsch has been exploited by these tv shows. Frankly I don't want my hobby invaded by profit seakers. In my opinion if you aren't into these boats because you enjoy them then stay away. As some of the guys are stating, you simply cannot spin this show successfully in a way that would be beneficial to the hobby.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109343

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I think we all saw the title and thought it would have more buying and selling,I agree that it will have more positive for owr boats.But it is a reality tv show that is scheduled to air and that is what it is going to do,As most of you know I restore these weird boats and have done a lot of them and stay on them daily.I can say I am not impressed with some of their restoration,but everybody has their own thoughts and finattic it is nice to see you back and the stuff I bought from you are now done,Barnes[my first,now have 3,]amusement boat ride,and coin op boat[I have 4 now, the rocket is not but I have one done,congrats on the samoan,, I enjoyed restoring mine it from junk from Dave Merhkes,to what it is now,,you will enjoy yours when finished too,Pics can be seen of most of my boats at www.billscars.com just my thoughts,,we all have them Bill

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109348

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Kevfin, Christine, one of my all time favorites along with Blazing Saddles, the uncut version.

Looks like a project I would take on :S

Ernie Borgnine....Tim Conway, hard to port and let the torpedoes run.

Time to move on. The subject is starting to repeat itself.
Attachments:

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109356

I put the series on record and saw the first show. Its just another scripted cheap drama with low paid participants. I won't use the word actors as that would be denigrating to most thespians. What's with the loudmouth hillbilly person?
My only hope is that the show will prod the folks who have an old treasure in the barn or out back to put it on Craigslist so one of us can save it...
Larry

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109362

Now what kind of shop are they running. Harbor Freight tools

Less it is a promo by Harbor Freight I would NEVER use HF tools where I make my living.

Now do not get me wrong I own many HF tools, however not where I make my living.They tend to break down and I cannot have them doing so on the job.

At hone on a hobby is OK for I can turn around and start doing something other then what I was working on till I have time to go get a replacement

CAVU

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109363

very well said tall Texan!!

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109365

TallTexan,

WELL SAID.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109407

Thanks Bill for the update on the boats, you always do a fantastic job on them, the Barnes looks great. Found my Samoan completely by accident in Bristol, Virginia, in a barn on a dead-end road. Was there to look at some antique furniture and casually asked if anything in their old barn was for sale...went in to look and there she sat in all her dust and hay covered glory...nose down and fins and twin Mercs peeking up on her rear...she'd neen there a LONG time...I about had a heart attack. 800 bucks later and I had a rollback on it's way. I looked like dirt-covered transient by the time I had a path cleared for her to come out of the barn, which ended up finally happening around 10pm that night...the sellers said I could work as late as I wanted and there was no way I was going to leave her till morning. She finally got into her new home in my garage about 12am, in her new resting place under the shadow of my '47 Steelcraft cruiser...thankfully the rollback driver is a good friend of mine and is always willing to go the extra mile for me. She's still sitting in the same spot in my garage, still dusty - I just like seeing her barn-fresh for some reaason, maybe I'm trying to avoid any temptations to sell her :D . One of these days I'll get her out, wash her up and take some pics and post them on the forum.

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109459

One thing I can say about Harbor Freight. When you get a good tool, it is good. When I first started my business back in 96 I bought a Milwaukee 1 1/4 Hammer drill and a 3/4 inch sds Harbor freight. I have also had dewalt and Bosch. One thing I may say is my Bosch Bulldog and Dewalt 3/4 inch hammer drills are long gone to the tool Heaven. My Milwaukee needs a switch and my 1/ 1/4 Bosch is still a workhorse after probably hundreds of thousands of holes. But that damn little HF hammer drill is still going strong with never a break-down or tear down. And many guys in the industry have bought those cheap drills for back-up and have been surprised how well they do work. I did termite jobs. With any tool like this , when they get hot put them down and grab another one. I also have a Makaita that I like but has had three different chucks on it. I had a Porter Cable that I returned after one job because it totally burn up. The HF ratchets are so much better than the newer Craftsman's that there is no comparison. But when I need a ratchet a hit ebay and get an old style Williams. It will never wear out.

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 5 months ago #109467

I thought the show was ok. Just another "Fix it up, give it away" type thing. I couldn't imagine how it would harm the average Fiberglassic owner/lover.

But, if I were in the boat restoration business located near by.... OH SNAP! That's you Nautilus!!

Re:Flipping Ships 9 years 2 months ago #112597

I bought this little gem last summer. Needed a drain plug and throttle cable. Runs great. Bought it to pull behind my 1957 Chrysler.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online